The next few days passed wonderfully. My fishing trip with Krono was alot of fun. When I woke that morning.. I grabbed my tackle and pole and snuck out the door of the wagon so as not to wake Bull and Tae. Wasnt I surprised when I crept down the steps and there standing at the bottom was both the little grinner's. They each had their poles and were bouncing around singing and well wagering who was "Gonna git the mostest fish" How could I resist??? I met up with Krono and first asked if He minded the youngin's tagging along. "Course not" He said and we left for the river. I set the kids up down river from us.. so they could splash and make as much as they wanted without endangering my chances for dinner. If anything.. I hoped they would scare the fishies up my way. It wasnt long into our excursion when the question was asked.... "Care to wager Silken??" Krono asked.. with a sly grin. "I am Tuchuk... DUH" I responded and we both laughed. We set the terms... If I caught the most fish... He owed me a new kaiila... and I wanted that big black spirited one that knocked me on my ass months ago. Agreed. I asked for His wager.. and He surprised me by requesting a nice.. cooked meal and dinner company. I tried not to look too eager to accept. I was after all a fantastic cook and could chew anyone's ear off with my tales... but eventually.. I accepted. We baited the hooks and began fishing.
By midday... Krono was up 7 to 5. I tried everything to catch up just shy of diving in and grabbing the slippery suckers. I shook my head.. I knew what my problem was... I didnt have any "magic worms". My lil Wily Man had always given me "Magic worms" to fish with. I never asked... perhaps I never wanted to know just what made them so special... but my catch today was certainly impeeded without them. I got to thinking about my kids... missing them.. wondering how they were fairing with Aunt and my family in the outer wagons. I knew I had to let them go.. I was unable to tend to them all by myself with all my duties plus new one's. But my day dream was short lived. Krono got another one.. a big whopper of a fish too! It was 8 to 5 now.. His favor.. and His lead only got better as time went on. Bull and Tae had grown tired of fishing... having run off to play back at the wagons.. and it was now getting late. I looked to Krono's stringer of fish.. filled no less... and my meager 5 that had remained all day and shook my head. I really needed that kaiila... but.. I had to now gracefully admit defeat. "Give up?" He said... smirking at me so badly I wanted to slap the lips right off His face. "You win" I spoke softly... and began to pack the poles and tackle. He chuckled and just for spite.. I swear it... He yanked in another fish. Grumbling... I took my stringer and started to walk back towards my wagon. Krono caught up to me.. struting like a proud larl.. and announced... "What's for dinner??" I just short of glared at Him.. then smirked... "Fish" I said.. then mumbled a silent "dumbass". he laughed and nodded... "MMMMmmm sounds yummy" He said... Bah.
Back at my wagon.. I started the smaller fire pit with the skillet while Krono cleaned the fish. Soon they were cooking in butter and frankly smelled rather wonderful with the spices I used. I let the kids eat first.. then finished up Krono's winning dinner and served Him outside at the small dinner table. I ate very little... while He ate everything. I could tell He had not had a home cooked meal in a long time. It felt good to cook for someone that appriciated it and said so.. over.. and over.. and over.
With dinner done... I cleaned up and made some blackwine. We sat at the table.. just talking about things. He informed me that He had brought up His wagon to the circle where I had directed Him. Over the past few months.. I had found Him to be worthy of the first fires.. and since I had the power to do so... I granted Him a welcome to the "circle of trust" among us. He asked about our kaiila pen.. and I told Him that Cana was the one to see... but I had not seen Her in a very long time. He nodded and I told Him... just go there and start work. Tuchuk needed kaiila... and He was qualified to handle them so... He got the job. One down... umpteen to go. We needed more Smith's... hunter's.. gather'ers.. scouts... weapon's trainers... and a whole gammet of Womanly jobs too. I sighed.. knowing my search for more people from the outer wagons was in store.... but.. at least.. I wouldnt be idle.
Krono and I spoke well into the night again... both children had fallen asleep on either side of me and I wiggled free to lift that big ole Bull into my arms. Krono smiled as I paraded back and forth into the wagon.. gathering Tae next and then tucking each one in with a kiss. When I sat back down... I was already exhausted. He looked at me from over the rim of His mug and I could see that smirk. "What?!" I asked. And He just shook His head. "Nothing... but your very good with them." He said. "Ive had tons of practice" I said.. He just chuckled and finished His blackwine. I watched the fire for a bit... and He stood up with a stretch. "Thank you for the meal" He said. I nodded. "You earned it... sleep well" I said. "And you as well Silken" He said. He turned and headed towards His wagon... leaving me once more alone at my fires. I sighed and began to clean up and douse the fire for the night.
Climbing into my furs... my two smallest kids not far from me.. I sighed again and curled up.
I had much to do tomorrow....
but at least I had something TO do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment