Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Page 445 ~ Misdirection


The fact that I made it back in one piece... well.. not all together true.. I was missing alittle blood.. some flesh around my ankle and had a new twist on shredded leg leather design.. it was... interesting? Now... I know the conversation I had with Nette last night was.. deep and intense. Something I havent ventured into with ANYONE for... well.. for awhile. I can safely say She is added to my list of now two people I trust with those files of my life needing to be discussed. But.. for whatever reason... I went to sleep and suddenly woke up with fangs and teeth snapping around my ankle and what I could only judge as a sleen.. tossing me around by it like a husk doll. I think I would have been dinner... dragged away under the wagon.. finished off had I not remained calm. Perhaps it was the fact I was asleep when it started? However it came to pass.. when the beastie released the pressure of it's jaws to get a better hold on me.. I kicked it with my other foot... slammed the sole of boot against it's head for leverage and yanked my foot from it's mouth. The tearing of skin against one sharp tooth made me cry out.. louder than I had hoped. I heard fangs snapping at air.. and there was this moment of fear.. anticipating those chompers once more claiming flesh. I scrambled like nobodys business until every fiber of muscle burned. Backed up now against what felt like a wagon wheel... I grew still and silent.. hearing the slither of the beast on the ground.... Slowly stalking me in the dark of shadows. I pulled my legs in.. making myself as tiny as possible and turned to the spokes of the wheel to pull myself up. As I moved.. I heard the patter of claws speed up... and then a lunge. I cringed.. closed my eyes tight and held on for the impact. Which.... didnt come? There was the sound of chain... links straining against a force that perhaps would have fractured those restraints had I given it a few more moments to work against them. The sleen made noises I never want to hear again.. bloodhungry... anger... defense. But who's wagon was it chained too... and why was I there? No time to sit and investigate. I was up and out of there in a flash... not stopping till those sounds where just a small drift on the night mists. I did make it back to my wagon... climbing the steps and immediately removing what was left of my leathers. Taking my trusty satchel... I treated the leg.. cleaning the puncture wounds and tears in my flesh before returning to my furs.

It took my Ahn's before I could go back to sleep again. I kept seeing the flash of fangs.. a glow of teeth against the blackness. Snapping and growling in a fit of bloodlust.

When I woke this morning... I was still tired. Sore. Confused. But not so much that I didnt know what I had to do. It was in the early Ahn's of light that I ventured out and to an old wagon. One I kept locked up with things of my past. Another Ahn of searching and I found the chest I needed. My stomach turned over as the clinks and rattles of chain were pulled from locked safety. Only about two arms lenghts.. a single cuff wrapped in soft leather.. not meant to hurt.. dangled on the end. The key still remained in the lock. I had to fight with it before it let go and slid free. This I tucked into my pocket and returned back to my main wagon. I set the shackle to the floor and finished preparing for my day. There were patients to see.. people to visit.. treatments to tend.. and oil's to be mixed. Yet... like a stone in the bottom of your boot.. that key nagged at me all day... along with the million double tarn disk question...

Who would I trust with it's keeping??

No comments: