
The end of the trail.. those last few days where.. you get teasing whisps of fresh air... warm.. inviting. It is my most troubled of times where I have to be patient and that is not one of my strong points. There are times when I want to pull my wagons out of line and nudge the bosk into a faster pace... just to get to the green grass.. tepid air and calm. I had more or less dozed off in the saddle as the Red walked a steady pace beside the line of wagons when I got that first sniff of the air. My head shot up.. I inhailed again and my voice suddenly lifted asking Do you smell that??!! We are almost there !!! I looked around.. I looked to my side.. back.. front... and then I sighed. There was no one to share my joy with. Ahhh well.. it was nice to feel.. if just for a moment. Now more embarassed at my sudden outburst.. I rode to check the rigging and rope that connected my wagons one to the other. I would need new rope after this.. not so bad.. something to do and keep me busy once we settled.
The days went by too slow.. finally pulling into our grounds for the Winter solice. My wagons were directed near Teng.. Jai and Kaeli's but I moved them away. Those youngin's didnt need their old Auntie hanging about.. especially with them newly mated. But the spot I found was suitable for me and my little gaggle of redheaded Tuchuks. Aunt set Her wagon up in an instant and started cleaning while I moved about and helped the Elders set up. Fire pits and kettles came forth.. cooking started.. blackwine brewed... life sprung back into the Tuchuk. Many seemed uneasy though.. looking over their shoulders.. and even with the talk that hung about.. there was still a quiet that hovered among us. With the day rushing past us and night settling in.. many simply ajourned to their own fires to rest and recount the trail. I had forgotten most of it.. save the reminder of it by the pain in my head and knee. Neither one touched the pain in my heart... but just what was wrong? What was missing? I shrugged.. nothing I suppose. It is as it always has been... I am alone yet surrounded by people. It is familar... comforting in a way.. something I can relate to. This is good... isnt it? So.. I retired for the first night on our new grounds. Climbing the wagon steps and tossing back the flap.. the backlight from the fires casting my shadow within the space. I smiled slightly but why.. I dont know.
I was greeted with... Nothingness.

No comments:
Post a Comment