Monday, September 21, 2009

Page 532 ~ Escort service


As I walked... I rubbed my arms to keep warm. It was not bitter cold.. just not the warmth of air as we had been accustomed too in the summer months. One could tell the time of change was near. Warm days.. chilly nights. Had I planned on being out there into the night.. I would have brought a wrap. But... I had just my vest and leathers.. nothing more. I was starting to get thirsty.. but knew if I kept walked eventually I would run into the Outriders. And I did. One lone Man who seemed rather stunned that I was out here.. alone.. and unarmed with more than a few daggers. It bothered me that I had lost my way somewhat... and bothered me more the barrage of questions I received from the OR. I simply stated I was out looking for my kaiila... a last ditch effort to find it before the move. I told Him who I was.. and that I was the Mate of Ashoak. He seemed to chuckle and then reached down with an arm for me to saddle up behind Him. I accepted... knowing I needed to get back before I was in worse trouble with Ash.

We rode for a few Ahn's and finally returned to the muted sounds of a sleeping camp. I dismounted the OR's beast and started towards my personal wagons when I noticed the Outrider trailing me. I kept turning to look over my shoulder... He just smiled and followed along. Once I reached my wagons.. He held His mount and slid from the saddle. A rather intense... kinda on the angry side of pissed Jax emerged from the shadows and just glared at me. I gave Him a smile.. intent on weasling my way from this with it.. but He just stared me down in silence before heading off to speak with the OR. While they spoke... I looked around and saw no signs of life other than a fire in the main camp... to which.. I moved to and began to warm my hands. Jax and the OR clasped a handshake and the Man left. I then became aware of a hand on my elbow.. escorting me rather firmly to my sleeping wagon. Jax was silent... this was never good.. so I whispered. "Everything ok?" He grunted and pushed me up the steps by the arm. When I reached the top of the platform and peeked inside... I saw it was empty within. "Where's Ash?" I said.. looking to Jax. "Out looking for YOU!" He growled. Eeps. "Sorry.. I guess I should go find Him..." I said.. and in turning Jax gave a firm No! And told me that the OR was going to get Him and let Him know I was safe and back at the wagons. He then just gave me a small shove... with the words.. "Inside... warm up and try to rest till He returns" I could only nod. This had not been my intention... but sometimes... I was still scatterbrained when it came to dealing with emotion and resolve of issues. Jax told me before He closed the door that everything was ok. Bull was fine.. and the rest of the children were sleeping. This gave me alittle piece of heart to nod and sit near the fire bowl to warm up.

Laying curled near the small warmth of flame.. I drifted to sleep lightly. Trying to remain aware of approaching sounds. But I must have missed the steps He took.. or He perhaps snuck in silently... because the next thing I knew my shoulder was being grasped and I heard Ash's voice as a shake was given to it....

"Wake up"

Too late to play dead.

No comments: