Saturday, August 1, 2009

Page 520 ~ " By the blast of the Sky (God).. they perish...."


"... and by the breath of His nostrils... they are consumed." (Job 4:9)


Sudden mass chaos devoured the Tuchuk. It looked chaotic.. but it was organized. Ash kept insisting I remain with Him... but I had a job to do.. and so did He. I took off.. against His wishes. I would deal with His anger later. Right now.. we all needed to survive. And that meant moving as much and as many as we could. Granted.. I was still weak from eariler. Vomiting and the faintness. But just as a Mother could lift a wagon from atop a child in a moment of panic.. I too found the strenght to begin tossing children and Women into wagons that rolled towards the stream. I grabbed the Elders and hoisted them into wagons.. I grabbed children lost in the smoke and handed them to other's. Grabbing cloths and wetting them to be put over mouth's and nose's... I was running around like a mad Woman.. but I was still in the same spot... just.. greeting every wagon that rolled by me. I became lost and disoriented in the heavy cloud.. I had lost track of Ash. My eyes were burning.. my throat was coated with thick soot. It hurt to breath.. it hurt to move. Somehow.. I ran into Seveya... literally. She had a lost child with Her and the two were walking somewhat disoriented. I threw a wet cloth over Her mouth and nose and hailed a passing wagon. "Get in." It was not said gently. She lifted the little one into the wagon and then I took hold of Her hips and thrust Her up into the wagon. "Its going to be ok Sev." I said.. turned.. and ran back into the smoke. I knew She would be safe... and that brought me peace.. to know a dear friend.. at least one of them.. would be fine. I began to worry of all my other family.. hoping to catch sight of them when suddenly.. from the ash came a loose kaiila. Darting.. running away from the flames that licked at our heels. I dove to the side and rolled to avoid it and an oncoming wagon.. just in time. Flames grabbed at my leg and arm... the wet cloth that once covered my face quickly swatted the fire and doused it. I had risen and began walking.... completely turned around and with no refrence points to get me back in the right direction... I wandered a moment. That is.. until out of the soot ladden air came Yamka. She offered me a hand... I told Her no. Point me back in the direction of the main camp. She did so... and I ran off once more. I was fighting the flow of the wagons and stampeeding people.. dodging and ducking... when I felt something hang me up. Tripping over and almost falling... I looked back to see a hand reach out from the smoke. I took it and crouched down to see an Old Woman.. immediately I recognized Her as the Woman of the Man that had just died. She begged me for help... begged me not to leave Her. I told Her I would not. And I was determined to not let Her die.. consummed by the flames that lashed out at us. I could not lift Her... I tried.. by the Skies I did... but She was too heavy. I screamed for help... but my plea's were lost in the rumble of wagon's.. the screams of the people.. and the hiss of the fire. Suddenly I heard a voice in the darkness... I did not know who... but it said to keep calling.. He would find us. And I did.. I choked on the soot... my voice but a hoarse raspy whisper.. but I kept calling. Here! Were here! Help us !! Like a cool breeze.. the smoke parted and Ash leaned in. Grabbed the Old Woman and getting Her to a wagon. There was little spoken between us... I mearly hopped in the wagon and began to tend the Old Woman. My urgency to help Her was known only to me at the time.. for this Woman was the same Old Woman who a day before had cursed me.. giving me a life of pain and sorrow. I knew it was Her the moment I stumbled and then took Her hand. I would not let Her die on the grass... I could not. I gave Her water.. helping to clear Her throat.. aided Her to sit up to help Her lungs. I whispered "Hang on.. you'll be fine." But I knew Her situation was dire. Her heart beat was faint... irratic. And She drew me down to Her mouth to whisper in my ear. I strained to listen... as tears fell down my soot coated cheeks.. staining them a fleshy white trail. "Forgive me. Forgive my anger at you for the loss of my Mate." She said. "Shhhhh. Do not fear. You will be fine. Please.. rest." I whispered.. choking on the smoke. "No." She said.. "My wish has come true Healer. I did not want to die in the flames on the prarrie. I want to be taken to the Sky with my Mate. See to that Healer? Please?" She began to fade away. I took Her shoulders and shook Her. "DO NOT go! Wait!" I tried to yell... and I saw Her eyes open and look at me. I bore a gaze into Her tired eyes and spoke.. "I promise.. you shall lie on a Pyre with your Mate... next to Him.. forever and eternity" She smiled... and whispered... "Thank you... thank you healer.... may the Sky bless you and keep you.... thank you... tha.. th.." And She was gone. The swell of emotions rose and I needed to contain them. I covered Her gently.. and I told a Man within the wagon that once we stopped to seek me out and bring me Her body. I had made a promise.. I would keep it. I stood.. seeking out Ash and walked to Him. My face telling it all. He said.. "There are other's to save... be strong." And I nodded... but when I looked back to the covered body of the Old Woman.. I could no longer breath. Ash was talking.. but the words did not register. And then... I was gone. I had passed out.

When next I woke.. I was in the back of one of the healer's wagon... taking water and gaining my senses. I got up.. sooner than I should have.. but I had a job to do. Managing to push everything back down... Ash was standing over me. Telling me to stay. He knew better and just shook His head. "Please.. be careful" He said. "You too" I said.. and I was off... darting wagons and heeding calls for healers nonstop as the wagons kept moving from the fires. It was endless... the calls for help. At one point I met up with Ongel and Tarra... Mezoo had been overcome by smoke. She was alive... but unconscious. Ongel treated Her. I had run out of salve.. and the healer told me of a case in one of the wagons about four up. I hurried there and packed my satchels.. then took armfulls and returned. Leaving jars for Ongel and giving Tarra some. Again the three of us split up and roamed the wagons as the smoke and ash began to thin. Eventually.. we cross the stream and the wagons took to lockdown. I set up the Nightmare and all the healers wagons off to the immediate left of the trail. I had different area's for each type of injuries going... from burns.. to broken bones.. to cuts.. smoke inhailation... and everything between. All the healers gathered at the Nightmare.. being it was such a stand-outish wagon that all knew. Injured upon injured began to filter in. I sent healers to the various points to treat and tend those wandering in. Some were carried... some walked... some dragged themselves along the ground. The smell of burnt flesh and clothing permeated the air.. which.. I must admit was better than the ash. The screaming had stopped.. but I could still hear it in my head... I probably would for some time. it was replaced with the soft sobs of Women.. children crying... Men calling for loved ones.. the moans of pain.. the agony of loss. I was standing aside the Nightmare when I felt arms around me.. and was turned in time to see Ash as He drew me against His chest. I held to Him tightly.. and whispered.. "You look like shit." He kissed me and I smiled. We worked for Ahn's and Ahn's well into the break of dawn. There were no words spoken between us.. only passing glances between tending patients. Finally... as the Central Fire began to dance over the horizon... I gave in to exhaustion. On my way to my wagons... I ran into Jax... He had been badly burned on the arms but tended to. He asked of my burns.. and if I was alright. I nodded. I tended them eariler quickly.. and only now did they begin to throb with my relaxing.. but I told Him not to worry. He told me how the fire had lept to the wagon covering He drove. He had Vee and Ess inside and He moved so quickly to tear the canvas free that He was burned as the fabric wrapped His arms. He assured me the twins were unharmed and resting with Mia and Sonny. He also told me all the other children were fine. Dakota had returned from digging the trenches and placing a fire wall.. and that Shanay was still working with the healers. Aunt was safe.. and bitching about clean up. he also told me that the Old Woman's body had been brought to one of my wagons. I asked Him to find Her Mate... the one we had brought to Her wagon the day before. He said He would. All was well. I could not argue or question Him further... there would be time for that later. I climbed into the wagon and collapsed on the furs. I thought not of the events of the day... or the perils of the journey.. but I thought how.. the Sky gave to us.. in the only way She knew how. The grass would be tall.. thick and plentiful next season. She had a way of rejuvinating life. Even if it meant life had to be taken to receive. I could not curse Her for this. I could not yell or scream... for we.. The Tuchuk... live on Her land. On Her terms and conditions. She taught us a lesson today. One that no one living will ever forget.

It was this thought that drew me into sleep.

The Sky giveth.. and the Sky taketh away.

We were strong... we will...

survive.

No comments: