Monday, August 3, 2009

Page 521 ~ Dusting off


When I finally opened my eyes again... it felt like I had slept for hands upon hands. I was groggy and disoriented... sore and still sleepy. The smell around me of everything burnt.. reminded me all to quick where I was and what had happened. I just wanted a few more moments to try and trick myself.. that it was all a dream. I rolled over to my side and pushed up to sit.. feeling pain in muscles that had worked far too hard for normalcy. I would not give in... there would be no repreive for me or anyone. There was much work ahead of all.. I was no exception. I stood slowly.. fighting the urge to cry out with the stretch of flesh that tightened from the burns. While I rooted through a trunk for clothing to change into and picked dried blood from me... I made notes in my head as to what I had salvaged to be given to those that may need. There was no bleeding within the wraps around my arm or leg.. no saturation of fluid.. so I left the wrappings alone and dressed. Wearing an old pair of leathers and a loose tunic.. my day would resume in treating the People. We were lucky.. as Gorean's.. our medical advances would heal injuries quickly. The salves we used and the make up of our bodies allowed us a rather fast internal recovery and those already treated on the way here were well into these stages. There were a few infections.. but most were easily treated. There was need for some amputation.. mostly fingers, hands and feet. I had heard of a few arms and legs.. but the numbers were low.. considering what we had been through.

Word filtered in via the network of people.. what had finally happened. Ayguili and Fonce along with Tarra.. how they had took charge and made a break wall in the grass to stop the rush of flames. I had not yet seen Ayguili so I sent Jax to Him.. giving Him a report on the Healer's clan.. what we had been doing.. what would be needed.. and so forth. I knew He would be busy... so I kept notes as well.. that when we could sit down and talk.. I would have every answer I could in reach for Him. I made an offering to Jax for Ayguili... "Tell Him that I have set up different circles for the severity of injuries. The wagon's that surround the Nightmare are divided into flesh burns.. deeper tissue burns and those that may need removal of limbs. I have kept the burn victim's near the stream so that constant water is available for cooling flesh and clearing ash filled throats and lungs. There are area's for broken bones... and area's for wounds needing stitching. I have begun a list of those injured that remain either unconscious or in care of the Healer's. Any that are missing... check with the Healer's.. perhaps they are here. The dead are being kept in wagons away from the other's... those names also on a list. Anyone needing help.. tell them to look for that pink Nightmare... the healer's are there. Give Him my reguards, Jax" I said with a nod. "And tell Him.. well done" I added and then had to return to seeing and overseeing patients. I got names of those lost.. or those unable to speak from anyone that could tell me their names. I put a symbol to them on a sheet of parchment and I placed a matching coal mark on the shoulder of the person their name coressponded too... hoping that family members looking would come to the Nightmare and be reunited. This took a whole day as so many were injuried... but once the list was compiled.. we began to match those lost with their loved one's. Those with only minor injuries but unable to care for themselves were turned over to family once claimed.. given instructions on care and to return if anything happened. This helped to lighten the rounds of checking people somewhat and allowed the Healer's to see to those more gravely hurt.

I drank my share of water... and sometimes some of Jax's. My muscles were sore.. and cramping was a concern. I was determined.. but not stupid in knowing what I stood chance to lose. Being a secretary of sorts to this list.. with a line of people wanting to see if the Healer's held their loved one's... gave me a chance to work without more stress to my body and that of our unborn child. Only four people knew.. Ash, Jax..Tarra and Ongel. Five if you include me. Tarra and Ongel found out that night when the fire's broke. My running to upchuck and my fainting in the heat told them and I would not deny it to them. I knew it would be safe with them... I did not want anyone telling me to take it easy or rest. I would do what I could and did not need to be treated like a child. My children and Aunt did not even know... not yet. There was much to worry over and I did not need them concerned about me. Ash was doing enough of that for all of them.

I had heard that a group was returning to the sight of our former circle of wagon's. I did not press or even mention going for two reason's. I was needed here and... I did not want to see what remained. There wasnt one family or person that did not lose something or everything when this fire broke. I did not want to be distracted. I needed to keep sharp. I knew that Ash would go to help salvage what they could. I would hear eventually from Him and the other's what more we had lost.

But in the end... we still had each other. We had the people. Those that survived and fought.

We are fighter's. We are survivor's.

It's a good day to be Tuchuk.

No comments: