Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Page 522 ~ Raw and uncut...


......... for the moment.



It was good to see those of the Main Fires again... filtering into a centralized area once more. I made rounds.. stopping to see Fonce and Seveya at the Spex fires. Got a quick glance at Mezoo.. She seemed well... much better than the last time I had seen Her. I checked on Sev and Her ankle. Her hands were reciently bandaged by some fanged bitch.. as I recall. Im taking that to mean Oggie's slave. While I do not trust them... and while I do not like to see them doing jobs of Clan... we needed all the help we could get. I suppose I will overlook it.. *grin* this time. Sev's ankle is many a shade of pretty. Pretty as in the multi-colored bruising that it garnishes. I packed it with some mud and wrapped it. Should be a few more days and She will be able to put weight on it again. I told Her it was good to see Her.. being the last time I did.. it was a more backward view I got. Having shoved Her into a wagon by the arse. She chuckled.. Fonce smirked... and Sev thanked me for helping Her and the little girl. She was sure that had I not... they might have had a different outcome. I assured Her.. had it not been me... someone else would have done it. Sev wasnt so sure. I told Her I was only doing my job as it was... and She responded with... I was a good Woman.. and Healer. Chuckling.. I asked Her to remember this... and bring it out in a time of need... say.. perhaps if I was in the vulo house with Ash. And.. I would be at some point or another. She agreed to the deal. I asked Fonce for some help.. telling Him that the healers needed people to grind herbs and cut strips of bandages. He offered Oggie's bitch... saying He trusted her with His life.. if that mattered. It helped.. yes... tho again.. I would not fully trust a slave. Salves cant be botched too badly so I agreed. He also said He knew of many children that could use something to do.. and I told Him that I also had many at my wagon's that had yet to find their parents. We both did not have to speak the word.. but it rang out clearly between us. Orphaned. I told Sev and Fonce about my listing of the wounded and dead... and how even Sev could help.. being the names tied to a symbol. There was always someone who could read at the Nightmare and once She could walk again.. we could use Her to help reconnect the lost. Bidding them farewell.. I continued my rounds to check on everyone. Heading back towards the healer's circle.. I found Tarra at the stream.. nursing Her legs in the water. She looked well. I dont press Her too much.. because I know if She needed anything.. She would call upon us. We chatted a few moments.. joking and teasing when Noya arrived with a group of children. It felt like the fire of the plains reared it's ugly head once more when the two began to bicker and argue. Tarra made a statement that hardly was an offense to Noya.. in which Noya blew a gasket over. Dont know why.. Tarra just stated something that really didnt offend anyone... but.. ehhh.. I just listened. Noya finally walked off after snapping like a sleen and went down stream alittle with the children. Ayguili arrived.. looking worn and tired. I could tell that something weighed heavily on His mind.. and given what had transpired these days.. He was allowed all the free roam He wanted. Fonce and Seveya also came along... to soak Sev's ankle. A few moments passed and Ayg called me to watch the children while He spoke to Noya. I did so... helping the kids clean up and wash the soot from their faces. I sent the slaves for towels and then had them gather up the kids.. all except Noya's twins.. and take them back to the wagons. We all couldnt help but overhear the news. Trilok had perished in the flames that swept the plains. He died saving one of His Men... a most honorable death. But even I knew those words did not bring anymore comfort to the one left behind. Eventually it would.. to speak of Him as such.. but for now.. it was no filler to the wound of the heart. Ayguili walked away... it hurt me to see Him like that. And while Noya and Her children consoled each other... I stood and quietly offered Her my support.. being there anything we could do. She nodded and thanked me... it was all that needed to be said at the moment. I headed over to Ayguili.. placed a hand on His shoulder and asked Him how He was doin'. He smiled and reached to touch my hand that I laid upon Him. He was drawn and saddened.. that was obvious. I told Him to come be with us... but He refussed.. saying He had more of this to do. I told Him... He did well. We all loved Him... and to remember that. It seemed to help... as small of a thing as I could do. Just to let Him know... kudos.

I headed back to sit with Tarra... eventually those at the stream left and She asked if I would like to join Her at the main fires. Which.. I did. I was starving. Yamka had brought honeycakes and I devoured that like the fire did the dry grass. Had me a plate of raw steak and chocolate... that chased even Tarra away. So.. I grinned... walking back to the Nightmare.. bloodied and gnawing on my meal. The chocolate didnt taste as I had remembered... it wasnt as good as anticipated...

I think I will try honey.

MMhhhmmm..... Tomorrow.

No comments: