Monday, July 27, 2009

Page 515 ~ Time Out


I woke up with a headache. Rolling over.. I felt and heard the crunch of something soft beneath me. It was almost dark... a fading soft light washed over me... and that's when my eyes finally focused. Sitting up quickly.. like you do when you wake in an unfamilar place... I found myself out in the tall grasses of the plains. I had no idea how I got here.. or why for that matter. I did a quick check of limbs.. all worked... no bleeding.. So.. I hadnt fallen. I ran my fingers through my hair.. pressing my skull.. checking my scalp. Nothing. No bumps.. no sore spots.. no cuts. Hmmmm. Baffled.. I got up and did a full circle to get my bearings. The light of campfires dotting the Harigga gave me direction.. and I headed back. I tried to search my thoughts.. for what reason I would be out on the plains and... sleeping? But the last thing I remembered was a small tiff Ash and I had before retiring to our wagon. Skies... It wasnt that big of a deal. I wondered then... had He dragged me out here and left me? Nahhhh... couldnt be. It wasnt.. that bad. It was just a simple disagreement. I gave a firm nod... for sure.. I thought.. I had been walking in my sleep.

By the time I reached my circle of wagon's.. night had fallen. The usual hustle and bustle of activity played out. My children were cleaning up from dinner.. Aunt was telling the younger one's a story... Jax and Wily were working on lures of fishing... nothing seemed out of place. No one even batted an eye to my return.. so I assumed I had not been gone that long. I stood in the fire light for sometime.. watching.. hoping for a spark of understanding.. and it came in the form of Jax.. welcoming me back. I nodded... not wanting to seem confused or disoriented. "Thanks" I said. Jax nodded and stepped from the wagon to walk over. "How is the Woman?" He asked. I had to backpeddle and give a generic answer without looking like I'd lost my mind... which.. I was beginning to think... I had. "Uhhhh She is fine." Jax nodded.. then narrowed His eyes on me... staring into me and leaned closer. "How is the baby?" He said in a low voice. I answered.. "Ohh.. doing well." He scowled lightly. "Boy? or Girl..." He said even deeper and quiet. "Uhhh boy." I said and nodded.... trying to go with the flow of the conversation. That's when Jax moved closer to my lips and said.. "Liar." I snapped a gaze to Him.. narrowed a mirror image to His. He only shook His head and walked back to take up His work with Wily.

Aunt moved to me with a bowl of stew.. poking me in the side to catch my attention. I gave Her a smile and took the food... heading to sit near the fire. I ate a few spoonfulls... but I wasnt hungry. I figured doing such would take the eyes off me.. but I caught Jax now and then.. watching me. Thankfully.. Vee and Ess came over.. each taking a knee to tell me about their vulo hunting. Creeping up through the grasses... gaining a target and working with the bow's that Ash had been teaching them. I gave each a kiss on the cheek and then took to gathering the whole clan up for bed. I knew Ash would be returning soon from the Forge... and I wanted to look half way deceint. Now with each child snuggled into their furs... each with a kiss and hug... I headed to our private wagon to change and make myself pretty. I added some oils to my skin.. trying to cover the smell of dirt and grass.

Curled slightly to the sitting furs in the wagon.. I watched the firebowl. I watched the small flicker of flames with a smile. I couldnt wait for Him to come home.. this much I knew. For whatever reason this oddity happened... it seemed to do me some good. I felt light... lighter than I had in years. I felt strong and I felt revived. I wanted to hear all about His day... while He looked at me with that.. grin. I wanted to feel His arms about me... His fingers in my hair and on my cheek... and I needed to hear those words from His lips. Words of love and understanding. I had such an overwhelming sense of purpose now. A sense that I belonged.. somewhere and to someone.

I had just needed that small time out to regroup and gather myself.

Yeah... that was it.....

wasnt it?

No comments: