Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Page 460 ~ Rain, Rain



When the rain began to fall on the wagon's... I was instantly reminded of our last trip to seasonal grounds. I found I could not sleep.. waiting for the wind that would rip the cover's and toss things that were not secured, around. I was actually scaired. I still had no healing right's other than to assit. That alone pissed me off. I thought of the injuries that were occuring.. even one's that could happen. And I could do nothing but sit here with invisable binds around my wrists. I am not one to be restrained. Yet.. what choice do I have? Everytime I approach Ba'atar with granting me permission to resume... Im met with a pile of hardheaded boskarse. Eventually.. like the ground drinks the water in... I started to sink back into myself. I didnt want to be around anyone. There is no one that can find me. It was my comfort zone. Just me.. my boys and Jax. I tried to keep the twins busy. They did enjoy catching raindrops on their's tongues. We made music and songs to the tapping of drops over the canvas... even Jax could be heard to sing in that deep baritone grumble from the bench or in saddle alongside the wagon. I sent the boys to sleep for the night... the night that would be the last of the rain. And.. though we did not know that morning would bring clear skies.. something told me to get out and enjoy this night of christening. I took to the bench... thowing back the hood of my cloak and pulling down the scarf. Finger's worked into my hair.. sliding the long ribbons free of the braid and letting every strand become damp with the Skies tears. I washed the dirt.. grit.. grime and dust from me. It ran in small streams down my neck and arms. I rode the rest of the day soaked to the bone...renewed in the natural state I had found.
When we stopped for the night... I received word that the rest of children were anxious to return home. Jax and I sat inside my wagon.. going over plan's to ride back down the line and gather them up. We spent Ahn's devising a plan.. weighing the options and danger's. As much as I wanted my little tribe back with me... it was too dangerous with the building pools of rain water on the ground. The wagon's up front were already struggling to draw through the saturated land... surely further back it was worse. Even if the rain stopped... there is no bright path forward.. because... with constant rain and heavy downpours comes one thing...
Mud.

No comments: