
After Ayguili laid down the law... He released me from the chains. I cant say I didnt expect some razzling over the situation I'd been in. He did tease me a bit.. about what to call me... etc. I tried not to show my fear of being returned to such a life... the life of a slave. His slave? Ew. I dont love Him.. I respect Him, yes. But I dont care enough about Him in that personal way to ever think of submission at His hands. Ayguili said.. I was not to set the toe of my boot outside the last circle of the herds. Not one red hair was to be found past the roaming beasts. It didnt help that Kaeli and I were on the same wave lenght... going barefoot... riding a kaiila.. dying my hair. Yeah. It was just that good. So.. with a sore set of ribs.. I sauntered my way back to my wagons. Still going over everything that was said and done.. I was in my own world. Suddenly... *Crack*.. a searing pain ran through my shoulder. I spun around while grabbing my arm.. ready to break someone in two.. when.. there stood Aunt. Her trusty switch in hand.. and it was cutting the air again.. whistling... and landed another blow to my thigh. *Crack* "Ow!..damn it old Woman! That hurts!" *Crack* another blow found it's mark against my hip. Now somewhere between the fourth and fifth strike.. Aunt started talking. Broken words.. accented with the hurl of Her arm and the snap against my body. "Dont.... *crack* you... *Crack* EVER... *crack* do that.. *crack* again! *Crack*" "ok! ok! I get it." I said to Aunt.. now trying to dodge and block blows that rained down upon me with many Envars of skill behind them. The final blow landed to my lower back.. arching me forward with a whimper. I spun around to grab the switch and yank it from Her hands. I took it between both fists... ready and willing to snap the branch in two.. when I looked to Nahir. I could see the pain... the anger in Her eyes... and behind that... I saw the fear. I could not bring myself to break the switch. It was almost as old as Her... it had a history.. and it was a friend to me.. growing up. I knew it well. Extending the wooden rod back to Her... She took it gently now... sighing as She shuffled Her body back to sit on the steps of Her wagon. "I worry for you Silken. Please. Dont go against the Ubar. Let them find Leonette." Aunt said with a soft tone. I felt every welt rise to salute the Woman's endevor and I walked to Her crouching with more than a wince from my ribs. I took Her boney hands in mine.. giving them a shake. "Aunt... The Ubar extended His wishes. I will obey them. Please.. do not fear or worry so much" I said. When She looked up then... I saw the tears in Her eyes. My heart dropped to my gut. "Your all I have left child. You... and the children." She said. "I know Aunt. And I... we.. will be here for as long as you breathe the air of these great plains. I promise." I said. I had made many promises these past few hands. Promises I intended to keep. I stood up slowly.. leaned to kiss Her weathered cheek and released Her hands. Heading to my wagon... I needed some time alone... time to soak away the pain in my ribs.. the stinging of my flesh and the ache of my heart. I would visit the stream. Gathering things from the wagon.. I started down the steps and was heading towards the water when Aunt called my name. I paused and turned to Her. "Child? Who is it that chained you?" She said. "Fonce, Aunt" I said.. and I saw Her lips twist into a frown. "Aunt.. He saved me from possibly a worse beating... if not a greater injury." I said softly. Her features softened... I could see She was thinking. And then She whispered. "I hope you thanked Him, Silken" I nodded... "Aunt.. I thanked Him. But it did not cover half of how it was meant... or how much." I looked to the ground. Aunt stood and said quietly. "Perhaps He knows already." She tucked the switch under Her arm.. heading towards our supply wagon. "I dont think so... " I said. Then I turned and headed to the stream. Aunt took from the supply wagon a small kettle.. filled it with roasted meat strips and slowly made Her way to Fonce's wagon.
The switch... still tucked under Her arm

No comments:
Post a Comment