Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Page 461 ~ Here's mud in your eye




Finally.. the central fire rose in the Sky. It broke the morning clouds and began to chase the rain away. Everything and everyone was drentched. The bosk shook from nose to tail.. trying desperately to rid the thick coats free of the heavy shag.. rainsoaked and matted. The people swiped hands down clothing.. wrung out their hair.. snapped articles of fabric in the air... anything to try and dry out. It was then we noticed the expected problem. Mud. What we up front were dealing with was a buttload more back down the line. Each wagon back had a harder time rolling through the churned up ground. Wheel's began to sink.. groan and crack. The pressure of shifting wagon's.. the drop of already overloaded cargo in some.. proved too much strain and wood shattered like a soft tospit begin thrown against a rock. Now... if you've ever heard a bone break.. it's a sound you never want to hear again. It makes even the strongest Man cringe. It makes your teeth hurt down to the jaw. And now.. this sound of wood splintering in explosive devistation was all around us.
I kept the twins in the wagon... threatening them with bright red bottoms if they set foot outside... fearing a piece of wood might fly by and hurt them. Every wagon had a guardian.. walking alongside while deft eyes watched the wheels.. and listened for any sign of trouble. The bosk teams bellowed and protested with the extra strain.. they had to be switched out more rapidly or they would tire and drop. We didnt need another sleepy bosk lying down on the job.. so I made sure my teams were changed out every few Ahn. It made travel slow... and running between the wagons for injuries had me exhausted by mid-day. I knew I was not to heal... I was not to do anything other than assist... but I could not stand by and do nothing for all the cuts and splinters and boo-boo's that were occuring. I would deal with Ba'atar later... but now I had stitches and bandages to tend to. The wheels were sharp like a blade. Removing them sliced open palms and forearms. Blood mixed with mud... tears mixed with rock... wood shards were returned to the ground. It was a cycle of rejuvenation.
I know that Ba'atar's Men rode by. I know they will report to Him that I was healing. But what can I say? "Im sorry.. Im doing my job. Punish me for it." Yeah.. that's about how I felt.
At final nightfall... the boys came out of the wagon... jittery with pent up energy. The mud for them was playtime. Within a few moments.. they were covering from head to boots. A few children joined them... and they started to run and dive on the ground.. sliding much a good distance on their bellies. The more they did it.. the more smooth of a valley was created over the ground.. and the faster they went. I couldnt help but laugh... watching little bodies go slipping over the ground.. rolling.. twisting. Yes.. there was mud in almost every orifice... but to see the smiles and hear the music of cackles and giggles was all my soul needed to revive. Vee and Ess came over.. each one took one of my hands and began pulling me towards the halfpipe of mud in the ground. "Momma!! Come on... ya gotta try it!!" They squeeled together. I did try to dig my boots in and stop... but mud gave little resistance and I was sloshing and sliding to their urging. Now at the mouth of the muddy slide.. the boys pushed me.. chanting for me to "Take a go at it!" Part of me said... "Dont do it Silken." while the other part.. the child in me was squirming to join the fun. That part won. In a flash I was running forward and next.. I launched myself in the air.. arms out and giving my version of some female battle cry. I hit the mud with a slap and instantly I was sliding across the ground like an Ost. I forgot to close my mouth.. dumbass. And when I finally stopped... I was chewing bits of rock.. grass and dirt. Yuck. Crunch.. crunch... cringe. And so I sat up. Already being sucked back down into the muck. The children gathered around... some laughed so hard.. it was silent... holding their bellies and just jiggling in hysteric's. Vee and Ess fell to the ground and kicked their legs... another child came up and patted my shoulder.. commending my style and form. I of course thanked the little tyke and sent them all off to resume play. Im sure I would be the topic of conversation for awhile... but I have to admit... it was fun... until....
I went to get up.
I was stuck. Sucked into the ground. I rolled to the side.. then to the other. Skies.. I hoped no one was watching. But.. then came that deep bellowing chuckle. I cringed.. twisting to look over my shoulder and spotted Jax. He simply shook His head and moved behind me. His hands under my arms and lifted me up to that icky sound of suction. I looked up to Him... surely only my eyes visable in my mud shroud.. and He wrapped an arm around my shoulder's... leading me back to the wagon. There were barrels of rain water waiting. He looked at me and said.. "Go clean up. I'll watch the kids... then you need to take care of the boys." I nodded and entered the wagon.. pausing at the top step to look back at Jax. Again He shook His head... and before walking off... He said.. "Perfect form.. but next time... close your mouth. " I smiled a dirt covered grin and held my head up... turning to enter the wagon.
Yep... I still got it.

No comments: