Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Page 435 ~ Rippled reflection


"I'd just like to see Her TRY!!!" that is the message the slave was given... the one that had shown up.. stating that Cana insisted I take a bath and the consequences if I didnt. The girl seemed amused somewhat... telling me that Cana said She would come and bathe me Herself if I protested. I was gaining my wits still.. my knuckles were sore and the open air stung against the torn flesh. I dont think I slept long... the blood was still alittle tacky. I had to look around.. reaching to scratch my temple... wondering how I got here and why I was here. The slave so carefully urged me once more to please come and enjoy a nice warm bath. I didnt argue this time... after a quick assessment of my current... condition. Yuck. I did need a bath. Dirt had dirt of it's own. I stood and gave a tug to the tunic Fonce let me borrow... and then followed the slave to the other wagon. Once inside the girl began to peck and pull at me and I flintched back. I did not like slaves touching me... I did not like anyone.. touching... me. I think? Maybe... well.. Im not sure now. Anyway.. I sent the girl away and closed the door. The water was warm.. steam drifted on the air currents... swirling into small clouds and misty threads. I undid what was left of a braid and shook out my hair... gasping when I habitually ran my fingers through it and my knuckles caught small strings of hair against the jagged tears. Shit... I hissed and lifted the tunic from the hem... up over my head and then folded it neatly to be set aside. The wrap around my lower half was untied and tossed aside. Stepping into the water... a moan parted my lips. It was more than pleasure but like a ritual cleansing.. spiritual and indepth. Easing down into the water till I was up to my neck... I lay still for many moments... letting the dirt and all my cares wash freely from soft flesh. I happen to look down and catch my reflection. What I saw.. shocked and frightened me. Laced smudges of dirt... like the scar's of a Warrior painted my cheeks. My forehead had a large splotch of grime. The bridge of my nose had a blotch of... well.. I dont know. Blood perhaps.. from my knuckles. My knuckles! I took to tending them.. washing them.. picking the abrased edges free so they would not catch and tear open further. By then.. they were numb and I could wash my hair with soap and oils. Now.. this alone is a chore being the lenght and fullness of my hair. Usually.. There was a ritual. When I bathed.. Jerus would enter and tend to my hair.. cutting the ends... trimming it so it wouldnt be so... unruly. Yes.. it had been that long since it was cared for the right way. But... I was on my own now. Not that it couldnt be done... but it would take time. For an Ahn.. I washed.. soaked.. rinsed.. washed again and then started the tedious combing of blood red curls that were as long as I was. When I finally got through all the tangles... I let the weight of wet hair hang over the bath and once more lay back... idly washing the rest of me. Another Ahn... but I was finally clean. "I know your out there.. you may come in now." and no sooner did I finish the statement than the slave was inside. In her arms was a bundle of clothing.. my clothing.. from my wagon. My wagon? But.. it wasnt the one I currently stayed in... no.. that much I knew. I stood and accepted a towel from the girl while she set down my clothes and then reached to gather up the garments I had worn here. When she took the tunic to her finger's.. I reached out and snagged it from her. she said nothing... other than a small gasp of air and then a small look of shock. Stepping from the water.. I toweled off and replaced the tunic to cover me... followed by a robe and a pair of furry slipper like footwear. I brought my leather's into my arms and proceeded back outside.... heading down the steps and off in the opposite direction of my prison like wagon. Several men stepped forward.. arms crossed.. eyes glaring. "Oh.. excuse me. But I'd like to go home now" I said. One of the Men raised a brow and I felt His hands take hold of my shoulders.. spin me around and give the gentlest of shoves... "Your a guest of the Ubar's. Your staying here." He said. "I am? ohhh.. lovely. Well.. thank you." I said.. and returned to the steps.. shuffled up them and inside. "damn" I muttered as I went inside. Thwarted again. I'd have to come up with a better escape plan. But.. why did I need one in the first place? And fuck ! Why was I here and not home? I found myself returning to that corner to sit. I was toying with the hem of the tunic when I remembered one thing.... He promised to come back.

No comments: