
Sweet revenge,
the bitter end.
This time.......
Break the spell of illusion.
Bound together waiting for you.
Jax had returned from the outer wagons and back to my fires. My friend.. and family was welcomed.. eagerly. I asked Him how His trip was. He replied it was successful. Puzzled by this type of answer... A brow lifted. He told me how His trip was not just to see His family.. but to visit an old friend.. A Spex. Ah.. I nodded to Him. And then Jax presented me with a small wrapped object. Curiousity set in. "What's this?" I asked. "Silken.. you and I have been friends for a long time. Ages upon years. It troubled me greatly to see you suffering. The dreams.. the fear.. the saddness. I requested this for you. It was made for you.. to help with the dreams. I want you back Silken. I want the old Silken back." Jax said. Normally a Man of very few words.. I found myself tangled by each one He spoke. The sound of His caring.. the tone of His thoughts. I was touched.. deeply.. profoundly. Slowly. I began to unwrap the gift... and soon held a ring of feathers and webs. "I've seen these before" I said softly.. admiring the work.. the effort and care put into the gift. "It's a dream catcher" Jax said. "Dream catcher??" I repeated. "How does it work" I asked. Jax took a seat on my wagon steps.. taking the catcher from my hands and began to speak as a long finger traced the various webs and feathers..... "A spider was quietly spinning his web in his own space. It was beside the sleeping space of Nokomis, the grandmother. Each day, Nokomis watched the spider at work, quietly spinning away. One day as she was watching him, her grandson came in. "Nokomis-iya!" he shouted, glancing at the spider. He stomped over to the spider, picked up a shoe and went to hit it. "No-keegwa," the old lady whispered, "don't hurt him.""Nokomis, why do you protect the spider?" asked the little boy. The old lady smiled, but did not answer. When the boy left, the spider went to the old woman and thanked her for saving his life. He said to her, "For many days you have watched me spin and weave my web. You have admired my work. In return for saving my life, I will give you a gift."He smiled his special spider smile and moved away, spinning as he went. Soon the moon glistened on a magical silvery web moving gently in the corner. "See how I spin?" he said. "See and learn, for each web will snare bad dreams. Only good dreams will go through the small hole. This is my gift to you. Use it so that only good dreams will be remembered. The bad dreams will become hopelessly entangled in the web." When Jax finished His story... I was.. speachless. This Man.. that I had known all these years... one whom protected me.. fought for me.. took alot of shit for me... had travelled back to the outer wagons for me... and brought me back a gift of immeasurable worth.... now stood.. I swear He wiped a tear from His eye. He climbed my steps... hammered a nail into the wood above my door and hung the intertwined webs and feathers from it. I watched in awe.. and yes.. I cried. Filled with more joy and happiness I thought I would burst. He walked back down the steps.. took my hands in His and leaned to kiss my forehead. "I only want the best for you Silks. Try. . . try hard. Know there are those that love you. We need you." He smiled down to me.. kissed my cheek and departed with a final.. "I will keep watch. I will be there if and when you need me. Rest now. Sleep." He stepped into the shadows.... and I smiled as tears streamed down my cheeks.
I focused on the dream catcher as I walked up the steps. The feathers touched the top of my head as I entered the door... like a lingering caress that bid protection. My wagon door was closed. Jax paced the perimeter with a watchful vigilence. I had informed Him of my intentions this night. Many a night He had rushed into the wagon to my screams.. He had held me tight.. rocked me slowly.. until the night terrors had passed. He was otherwise helpless those times... He wanted to fight an attacker that He could not see. But now... He had backup. Now He had given me a doorway to close upon my MistMonster. I was confident... I felt strong. I had the dream catcher... I had Jax... I had Ash. It was time to break this spell... this horrid illusion. So I lay to my furs... armed to the teeth with my weapons...closed my eyes... and slowly drifted off to sleep.

No comments:
Post a Comment