Friday, June 26, 2009

Page 496 ~ Glowing


My first day as the Mate of Ashoak ran as normal. I expected to perhaps feel different.. I wondered if I was.. broken because I didnt. I mean.. I felt good.. happy... I took pride in the fact He chose me and He loves me. But... I guess I was expecting more than that warm fuzzy feeling. I wasnt somber in mood... I wasnt sad or angry.. I was simply content. Mezoo had mentioned planning a party for Hanse and Jess... and more paga was needed. So I set out my morning and went to the brewing wagons. I was joined by Wily... my second hand Man in the brewing process. He knew everything I did when I came to the making of paga. He helped me barrel the brews that were ready for consumption and set the taps. With Jax help.. they loaded a spare wagon to the canvas.. three barrels wide and four rows back with the celebitory drink. Wily also made sure that the paga wagon's among the Harigga also had new stock. In days of late He has been hounding me not to go to those wagons. They "aint fer Women" He tells me. "It's not a problem when they want the drink bad enough... no one seems to care" I tell Him. Wily just shakes His head.. my once little bug is a grown young Man... on the verge of telling His Mama what is right and what isnt. But I laugh and still hug and kiss Him when no one is looking of course.

Wily and Jax headed off to hook up a team to the party wagon and bring it to the Ubar's fire. When I stepped out on the platform of the brewing wagon... I was suddenly caught in the eyeballing gaze of three beautiful young redheads. Talia.. Starr and Mia. Standing at the foot of the steps... looking at me. I turned to look behind me.. I even checked my vest... then asked.. "What?! Did I forget something?" "You dun look any differ't Mama" Mia said.. and Talia reached behind Starr.. whacking Mia. I lifted a brow and folded my arms... stepping forward to sit on the top step and looked at my oldest present daughter... it was one of those looks that demanded an explanation. "That's cause She aint" Starr whispered... "I told ya so.." She added. Talia began that nervous shift side to side on each foot. My clue that a sisterly discussion had taken place.. and I was the focus of it. Talia's darting of Her eyes from me.. to Her sister's.. to the ground and round about circles told me something deeper was up. "Was I supposed to look different??" I asked... lending my gaze to each child. "Tali said ya would, Mama. She said Mated Women glow and smile and.. and... walk funny. But I dun see any lights around you" Lil Mia piped up. "I see" I said with a small smirk. "Well... I am smiling... and I do glow around the fire... and yes.. I am walking funny. Remember Auntie hit me with Her cane?" My two youngest girls brightened up and smiled to me. They nodded and climbed the steps..leaning in to hug me. I kissed the sides of their heads and patted their backsides. "Go tend your chores now youngin's" I said. In unison they whispered.. "I love you Mama" "And I you my girl's" I said. They turned and started to dart off.. but Mia paused and kicked Talia in the shin growling.. "I told you Mama's hair glows around the fire!!! Not all of Her!" And Mia ran off before Her sister could respond. Talia then spun around to leave. My voice lowered to Her... "Talia......" and I patted the step beside me. It wasnt a question.. it was a request that She come sit by me and it was all expressed in sound. She hesitated but finally climbed the steps to sit with me. I wrapped an arm around Her shoulders. "Ok.. tell me what's going on" I looked to Her... and She turned that young face to me. "They asked me what it was like to be Mated" She said. "So I told them... You smile alot... you glow.. and you walk funny after" I nodded. "I see. Where did you hear this?" I asked. And Talia shrugged whispering "Some of the other girl's." "MMmhmmm" I hummed. "And why does a Mated Woman... have to walk funny?" I looked to Talia who immediately blushed. "Mama!" She hissed embarassed. "No Talia.. tell me. I wont be mad. We can discuss anything.. you know that." I said. Now Talia danced in Her seat.. I could see Her trying to find the right way to say it... and youza.. She did. "Well... cause... when ya get Mated... Ya... do it" I contained my grin and chuckles. "Ohhhhh I see." I said nodding. This seemed to loosen up my daughter's tension and She continued. "Yea.. the Man and Woman lie down in the furs and He rolls over on Her... His ost hides in Her cave.. the Man grunts a few times then rolls over and goes to sleep." I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing. "And who told you this?" I said.. trying desperatly to contain myself. "Uhhhh Wily, Mama. He watches the slaves." Talia nodded. Something told me it was Wily... and while I dont think that was exactly what He said.. it was the parts that Talia remembered. She is 13 turnings.. I thought and I turned to Her and slowly.. carefully began to tell Her that while Wily was sorta right.. He was wayyyyyyy out in the left herd. I saw the confusion cross Her features and got up. Into my supply wagon where one of the famous books was kept... not the graffic one.. but one that was made.. specifically designed for younger minds. The rest of the afternoon we spent sitting on the steps.. while I explained the birds and bee's. When I finished and closed the book... She turned to look at me... and suddenly wrinkled Her face up with a loud.. "EW" I chuckled. "You think that now.. but someday... you'll feel different." Talia shook Her head hearing me. I took Her chin in my hand. "Talia... whatever you tell your sister's.. please.. remember their age. And when it is time for them to learn... I will tell them.. show them.. just as I have you. Understand?" Talia nodded and whispered.. "Cant it be a secret? Just between you and I for now Mama?" "Of course my love" I said and leaned to kiss the top of Her head. "Mama? Did you and Ash.... do it?" She asked so quietly. "Well, that's not really your concern Talia. But if and or when we do... I can assure you I will look no different that I do now. Being Mated... It's not just sex Talia" Talia smiled and nodded. "Now.. off to your chores" I said and She bounded down the steps.. glowing with Her secret.

I shook my head and laughed... clutching the book to my chest as I watched Talia disappear. I took a few moments to look around the area and take a deep breath. The air seemed fresher... lighter.

It's not just sex .... those words crept back into my brain.

Funny how that wouldnt be the last time I would say that today.

No comments: