Friday, October 3, 2008

Page 284 (2/5/2008) Old reliable

What started out as a usual fun night at my fires... turned into a long... long night of patient care. Shi stopped by.. had a verr for me and the kids. Im flattered that He still looks out for us... and it kinda makes me feel like someday we can get back to where we started. Sometimes when things go terribly wrong... you need to put your toes on the very beginning and walk the line once again. I was hoping for that... then it happened. Shi has always gotten under my skin by His adept ability to not finish a sentance. Up went my blood pressure in a matter of Ihns when He did it this time... and I slapped Him upside the head. A small scuffle ensued which... would have gotten worse had Ina not rushed in and said I was needed at the main fire. I got a secondary bout of information from Wily. Seth.. was injured. That little red head was in tears on the way back to the Harigga.. hiccupping and crying as He told me what happened. We found Seth passed out by the fires and Shi carried Him to the Nightmare. His left arm burned pretty good.. and a.. kaiila bite to the back of the leg???? Ahhhh ok... now I was getting a mental image from the puzzle pieces that Wily provided. Seth's arm and leg were treated.. and I had to give Him a bit of a hair cut on the stashie and beard to clear the singed hair. Doped Him up good with pain meds... and He finally came around. Something had spooked a kaiila near the Forge... bit Him in the ass and shoved Him into the fire. Immediately.. I thought.. Spooked kaiila.. Wily near by.. not good. This would wait to be found out later. I got Seth to the observation area of the Nightmare.. making Him comfortable and sure that His arm could rest to the air. The salve we make on the plains works wonders and by morning His arm would show a noticable improvement. Propping Him up with pillows and giving Him some furs... Seth fought me to go back to His wagon. I ensured Him.. He would be spending tonight and tomorrow here where I could watch for infection before sending Him home. Gave Him lots of water and a pee bucket. He was trying to hide the pain from me... but His eyes told me everything I needed to know. Much as I like Him conscious... I gave Him water with a seditive in it and He drank it down. He fell asleep right in the middle of a sentance. I was thankful. No one needed to be in pain... stubborn Men included. He didnt need to prove anything to me... I knew He was strong. I know.. He is. Hammering metal and bending it to His will all day.. tends to build muscle. I watched Him rest.. checked His breathing and vital's and then moved to the work bench of the wagon. His arm required much of the supply of salve I had on hand. I would need more for the morning. So... gathering up all the ingredients... I started the long night of patient watching and salve replentishing. It was near the break of dawn when I finished... I had checked on Seth many times through the night. He smiles in His sleep... talks too. Finally I sat to the stool at the table and let out a relieved sigh... looking around the wagon at the small mess that I would need to clean up. Yup... gotta get to work.. again. But first.. just a few Ehn of rest... just need to close my eyes..... then I'll get back to work...
Guess I was more tired than I thought.

No comments: