Wily had returned from the Forge.. after a day of working the bellows for Seth. He seems to be very interested in metal work.. which I encourage and thankfully.. Seth allows. I watched the Wily bug as He strutted over to the water barrel and took a big gulp of water.. then proceeded to pour a ladle full over His head. I chuckled as I saw this young warrior growing before my eyes. Wily lifted an arm and swiped it across His forehead.. that's when I took note of the red hands. I paniced for a moment and rushed over to Him.. grabbing His wrist and looking at His palms. "Wily!! What happened ! Did you get burned??" I asked.. and the little red-headed tike quickly threw His hands behind His back. "It's nothing Momma... I didnt get burned'ed" He said. "Let me see them Wily ! " I nearly shouted at Him but He shook His head and said. "Momma stop ! It's ok. honest !" Now.. I frowned at this little guy.. and started the Mother.. shift of stance... eyeing Him up. He sighed and looked down.. stiring the ground with His tiny boots. "Momma... I was ahelpin Leonette paint.. and I used the red. But I wont come off !!! " He started to squirm.. and I... I simply bust out laughing. This caught Wily by surprise. He didnt know what to do. "Ya not mad Momma???" He said in a small voice.. peering at me from behind the whisp of red hair that covered one eye. "No Wily. Im not." still chuckling.. I reached down and gathered that lil Tuchuk up and smothered Him with kisses. Wily squirmed and wiggled.. yellin.. "Momma !! Not in front of the guys !!!" That made me laugh harder and then moments later I drew a serious mocked face.. "Ohhh.. your right Wily. Im sorry. Come with me to the Nightmare.. I have some oils there that will get the stain from your hands." I said. He nodded and pulled His tunic down straighter and lifted His head high. Those crystal blue eyes looked at me with a smile.... Skies.. He even walked like Jerus.
Inside the Nightmare... I worked some oil and cleaner into His hands and carefully removed the stain of paint from the Bug's skin. We talked a bit about Him working with Seth... how much He enjoyed it and so forth. One would think that with Wily... anything dangerous such as working with fire.. would be my worst nightmare.... but instead.. I was proud that the little bugger found something that He enjoyed. I asked Him if He was thinking of becoming an iron master. He said He really didnt know.. but realllllllllllllllly liked it and Seth was alot of fun to work with. As I wiped the remaining color free of His palms and added some salve to replentish the softness of His hands... I noticed that Wily had gotten quiet. Crouched down before Him as He sat on a stool... I looked up at Him and tilted my head. "Something wrong Wily? You need to talk young Warrior?" I said softly to Him... and I could see Him twisting inside to speak. "Wily.. you know you can say anything to me..." I said and He nodded and after a few sighs and figets.. He whispered.. "Momma? Do you think Papa would be upset if I wanted ta be an iron master instead of a scarrer? " Well.. I felt my heart climb into the hollow of my throat and I lifted to gather up my Bug in my arms and hug Him to me. Wily clung tightly to me and I could feel the tears pulsing His chest as He held them back.. threatening to burst forth. My hand lifted to stroke the back of that unruly mane of hair and I rocked Him ever so gently side to side. "Wily.. Your Papa would be proud of you no matter what you decided to be. You do not need to follow in His footsteps for Him to be any more or less proud of you. You are the fourth son of Jerus Neill.. that alone... made Him proud. " Wily's grip around my neck got tighter and His little body relaxed. We held each other for a long time before He whispered He was hungry. I kissed Him on the cheek and set Him down. I told Him to speak to Seth.. ask Him what He thought.. and that no matter what He decided.. He had my support. I got a hug to the waist... not realizing how much He had grown.. as it wasnt my leg that got His arms around me. " I love you Bug... " I whispered and Wily answered.. " I love ya too Momma. " My fingers lingered in the soft of His curls for moments longer... and once Wily left.. I could still feel the downy tingle of His hair in my palms. I watched Him go... I wished I could keep Him little forever. But He was growing up.. so fast.
The red stain on Wily's palms were not the only thing I saw in that little boy's hands this day... there was something more.. something a gazillion times more precious in His hands.....
.... He also held my heart in them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment