In the still of the night
I held you
Held you tight'
Cause I love
Love you so
Promise i'll never
Let you go
In the still of the night
I remember
That night in May
The stars were bright above
I'll hope and i'll pray
To keep
Your precious love
Well before the light
Hold me again
With all of your might
In the still of the night
So before the light
Hold me again
With all of your might
In the still of the night
I rode.. all night long. No particular direction ... no pattern... just rode. I confused that stupid kaiila by giving Him the reins and only demanding that we go fast. I knew someone followed me... how many or who.. I couldnt say. I was a dark night... very little in stars or moon light... it matched what I felt. I wanted to think... I wanted things to become clear again as they were just a few days ago. But... I had newer thoughts to twist and turn in my head... I need to just stop thinking.
Be it dumb luck or fate... Beta had taken a wide.. slow turn that I never noticed and we wound up at Aunt's wagon. It was still early morning.. several hours before the warmth of the Central Fire would light the Sky...when my beast stopped. Beta gave a shiver and panted.... clawing at the ground... I looked up from my daze of concentration and saw Aunt with arms folded... foot a tap-tap-tappin on Her platform. I kinda looked at Her like I did when I was five. An... I din do it.. I swear.. look. She didnt buy it and not only was my braid seized in Her hand.. but my ear too. Ow Ow Ow !!! I yelped and was literally dragged from the saddle... over the railing and dropped to the platform. My ear and braid retrieved again and I was urged up and involuntarily walked back to that little wagon at the end of Shi's rows. Now.. for a Woman shorter than me... how She had me on my tippytoes.. whimpering.. stumbling and yelping during the walk... I dont know. But I was pushed up the steps.. ok.. swatted.. several times on the backside.. with Aunt's words muttering behind me.... I didnt know the Woman could curse like that. She sent me for a spin into the door and I hit the boards with a groan. Upon me again.. She pinned me there... musta knew I would try and run... and She opened the door. Another shove and I was inside.. backtracking and stumbling. I was suddenly standing there before Her and I was a kid again. In trouble and about to start pleading for the beatings to NOT begin. Aunt wielded a nasty belt. Skies.. the Woman had aged.. but never lost Her temper or gusto. I respected Her for that.. and for a brief moment.. I pictured myself growing old like Her and still maintaining that firey spirit. I watched as She tried to form words... tried to formulate a sentence.. but was so mad.. She only got out a few grunts... sighs and growls. Aunt stopped pacing and smoothed Her silver hair back and looked directly into my eyes. "If you think I am too old to wield that belt to your backside... If you think your too old to put you over my knees.. You are saddly mistaken Silken. I would like nothing more than to turn your bottom as bright.. if not BRIGHTER than your hair child ! " She said.. and She ment it. I tried not to laugh.. well what does one do in the face of danger... I was nervous. She walked to me and sent a palm to cut the air and it met my cheek with a snap. I spun to the floor... shocked that this Woman had just leveled me to the ground. "Im ssssssorry Aunt" I said with a lisp. I stuttered with a lisp of S's as a child when I was nervous... it hadnt reared it's ugly head in many years.. but now I was back before Aunt who could and just might strip the flesh from me... and I could do nothing about it. I was... just little Silken again. It's called.. respect. "Why do you not fight me... as you do Shi?" Aunt said and my brows furrowed and looked to Her. I wondered what the two of them spoke about now. I chewed my answers a few times over and just blurted out "Your older... Your family... I resssspect my Elder'ssss" Dumb answer, I thought as I said it. Aunt just smiled that shit kickin grin and with Her one hand on Her hip.. She shook a finger at me and said... "Shi is your Elder.. He is family." Damnit... I muttered and hung my head. She got me. It was the turn of Her boots that made me look back up and She was heading for the door. I called to Her somewhat surprised... "Aunt? Aintcha gonna tann my backsssside?" Nahir stopped and turned half way around... She was still smiling. "No Silken. Im tired... been up all night worrying about you. Besides... I think there might be someone.... else more apt and deserving of that task." She said. I jumped up and ran to Her. "Who ! Who Aunt?" I said in a panic. There were a few I could think of.. one I didnt want to. Aunt looked at me... touched my cheek that still held the sting of Her palm and nodded. "Rest now Silken... but do not leave this wagon till your called. Understand child?" She said in a soft voice. "Yes Aunt.. I wont. I underssssstand." I said defeated. She left.. closing the door and I listened for Her footsteps to fade. I thought about leaving.. sneeking off... but I didnt want to chance more anger from that Woman.
I rested on the furs... trying to sleep alittle.. but it eluded me. It was early morning when I heard the hooves pounding the ground that rode up into Shi's camp. I judged they stopped near Aunt's wagon and I heard the low murmering of voices. The sound of a saddle being relieved of it's rider... groaning and creaking leather... and then the thump of heavy boots hitting the dirt. Steps that kicked up the dust crossed the ground... then the hard falls of boot heels to the steps. My heart was racing... my eyes locked to the doorhandle. Yet.. whoever was outside paused.. baiting my anticipation... making me hold my breath.....
... was that a laugh?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment