"Tarra???" I said when I got no response from my initial prodding. Shifting my weight as I waited for Her to open the door. I knew Tarra could hold a grudge.. but shhheshhhh... this was rediculous. Picking at my fingernails.. I started speaking. " Tarra... Im not here to argue.. Im not here to try and start up idle chit chat. I really need to speak to you." I shifted again.. stiring the floorboards of Her platform with a boot toe.. and continuing. " Something feels wrong... there is.. something coming.. or.. something is here. I dont know why I feel this way. I just know that something is with us. Why did you stay behind? What have you seen? heard? feel? Tarra.... please... answer me..... " Again I was greeted with silence. That ringing in my ears started again. " Tarra... please ! Im worried ! Ya know that feeling that something is stalking you in the darkness? Like your being made prey... and your not sure from which direction it's going to come from??? Well.. Ive been feeling that at night.. and well... ohhh Tarra... please ! Please just come outside and talk to me ! Tarra???? Tarra !! " About that time Ulric came from around the wagon... In His usual calm voice.. He informed me that She wasnt here. I asked where She went and He told me She had taken red salt and was wandering the remnants of the plains. At first I thought She was blessing the lands or some Spex thing.. but then panic hit me. She was alone... and whatever was here... could be with Her. I missed every step as I flew from Her platform and was running before my feet hit the ground. " Tell Seth I went to find Her !!! " I yelled to Ulric who called back to me.. "Where do I find Seth??" He said.. and I responded without turning back.. "Dont worry.. He will find you..." I knew what Seth had said about coming right back.. and I knew.. shortly.. very shortly.. He would be at the wagon looking for me and my ass. I ran... following the wagon trails in the grass... my eyes searching for prints.. tracks.. a sign of where She might be. And then I spotted Her... in the near distance... a large stick in Her hand. Again.. I screamed Her name.. this time with more panic tainted to it. She did not look up. I ran more.. but the more effort I put in.. it seemed She got farther away. A pain hit the side of my chest... I could not breath... and fell to my knees.. panting.. trying to catch my breath. I could still see Her from over the tall grass. I lifted an arm.. reaching for Her. I tried to call Her name... I was too winded to get a voice. It was then that a sudden strong gust of wind blew me from behind... rushing towards Tarra. It was cold.. stabbing me to the core of my soul. I fell over to hands and knees... and finally knocked flat to my stomach. I tried to crawl forward.. clawing at the ground.. but the grasses seemed to weight me down.. the pressure in the air was growing. My head was throbbing.. my body fighting to move. Then suddenly.... everything went dark. I was no longer aware of anything as I slipped into unconsciousness... I was lying in the grass... motionless....
In Silence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment