Saturday, October 4, 2008

Page 359 (6/12/2008) Stir crazy

I couldnt take another day of the same thing over and over. If I did not break this mundane repeative cycle.. I was going to go over the edge and kill someone. I quickly made a check around the Harigga... to be sure no one had died.. no one had medical needs.. no one needed me.. period. With this info. secured so I would not piss off anyone by leaving.. I left word with Enu that I would be taking Jax and Raz.. Flip n Flop and I would be heading out to trade. Enu would let Seth and Kam know where I would be going and all the details. Ok.. next base covered. I hitched up three wagons with bosk teams.. I secured Beta to one and mounted up on Thumper. We pulled out from the Harigga mid-day. Wily.. Mia and Sonny driving one wagon... Talia and Starr a second and Flip n Flop the third. I rode saddle with Jax while Raz made sure the kids were fine.. He rode side to their wagons for the Ahn's we travelled. I had a chest full of coin.. there were items I needed to purchase should I not be able to find suitable bartering material for them. I was in search of one white and one black pelt. Having specific plans to cut these into strips and sew them together in a pattern. It would take several moons to complete.. but the occupied time spent doing so might just save my sanity.
Night came rather quickly.. I guess I was just lost in the slow movement of the wagons and not really paying attention... because I was several paces ahead of everyone when Jax whistled to me. Turning in the saddle I looked back to see them making a small camp. I pulled Thumper back and dismounted to a sigh of relief from the beast. The kids were ablaze with activity.. running around and spending the excess energy that riding in the wagons brought. They ate a hearty dinner.. I dont think they breathed between bites. Soon.. the fresh air and open plains caught up with them and they all curled on their bed rolls under one of the wagons. The detail of Men would also get some rest before total darkness blanketed us.. then they would take up guard position while the children and I slept. Well.. while the children slept. I would sleep tomorrow... in the saddle during the ride.. tonight.. I would sit up and listen.. listen and watch... I still had an uneasy feeling.
My dagger held tightly in my palm.

No comments: