Friday, October 3, 2008

Page 321 (3/22/2008) Little boy lost

When I woke this morning... something told me it was going to be a bad day. The children were outside.. knocking things over.. running around.. looking in barrel.. baskets.. under wagons. When I asked them... why.. they were destroying our small camp... they all chirped at once.. "Wily was missing" Now.. normally these words would send a chill down a Mother's spine.. but this WAS Wily we were talking about.. and I didnt really worry all that much. I assured the children He wa alright.. probably playing a joke on them. They all nodded.. though the worry did not leave their eyes... I sent them about their chores for the day with a promise to find the Breaded Tuchuk. I headed to the Forge.. and found no sign of Seth or Wily. The Iron Master within said neither came in today. I was relieved.. I figured they both went fishing which took me to my next place to check.. the stream. Still no sign. Now.. I was getting worried. I headed back towards Seth's wagons and found tanya there. she told me that Seth was sleeping. And I asked if perhaps Wily was around? The girl told me she had not seen Him since early this morning. Early He had stopped by to speak with Seth.. but He was asleep. Wily had mentioned He was going for a walk. I told tanya to tell Seth I needed to see Him right away... but not to wake Him up. she nodded and went about her chores... I turned to the plains.. looking in every direction and then took off. I did wide circles about the Harigga. Hoping to catch some sight of Wily.. a track.. a footprint. I had thought maybe He went worm hunting... maybe.. He encountered a sleen... a larl.. or perhaps spooked a bosk and was lying somewhere hurt.. torn up bad... or... No. I wouldnt think that.
After an Ahn of calling for the BugMan... My face was stained with tears of worry. Finally in the distance ... I spotted a small lone figure. My heart stopped beating for several long Ihn. Then just as fast.. I could then breath once more. Much as I wantedto run to Him... I could not get the signal to my brain to move my feet. I watched for a time more as Wily stood there.. looking at the ground. It was obvious that He was a small boy with big Man problems. My steps resumed.. easing me to Him.. He did not look up as I stood beside Him. A hand lowered to His shoulder. "Tal my son. You are well?" I said.. trying to hide the emotions inside and not be a blubbering Mother. "Tal Momma. Im... ok" He said in a soft voice. "Something you need to talk about Wily?" I watched Him to see if He moved or looked at me. "Momma? How come all the girl's I love... like someone else? How come they Mate someone else... Aint I a good Tuchuk?" Wily looked to me then with tears in His eyes and I lowered to crouch beside Him. "Wily.. You are a good Tuchuk. Your just... alittle young for the girl's you like." I tried to sound supportive.. but after all this was not an easy subject to begin with. There was no way around not hurting His little heart. "But Momma.... " He said... "Seth loves you and you love Him.. and He's half your age." Well I frowned hearing my own son voice exactly what one of my concerns were. I looked at the BugMan for a long time.. trying to think of the next answer and finally said... "Wily.. it is true that Seth is younger than me... but we are both also adults. You are still a young Man.. you havent your first scar yet... and you even need a name." Wily cut me off and firmly planted His hands to His hips.. " Momma ! I do have a name ! It's Wily ! Wily the Tuchuk ! " He said with such conviction. I nodded and spoke softly. " This is true Wily. That is what we call you... but.. You have not been given your name by your family." Wily frowned and kicked the dirt. "So when do I get a name Momma... " I looked to Him and whispered.. "Soon, my son. Seth plans to give you your name as soon as we are Mated " Wily accepted this and nodded... "Momma... can I keep my name? Can I be Wily always?" I smiled and brushed a thumb over His cheek. "You will always be Wily, my son. If you wish to keep that name... speak to Seth. I am sure He will be open to it. " I said to Him quietly. He looked at me again and said in a strong voice.. "So.. once I have my name.. and my scar... the girl's will see me as a Man? " I nodded and patted His shoulder. " You will be a Man.. Wily. Dont rush it. Your young and full of life. Your brazen and bold... learn from this before you decide to take on all that life here has to offer." Wily smiled alittle and nodded. " I will work on being a Man.. Momma. And Im gonna ask Seth about my name. " He smiled bigger and I did too. We hugged and then I stood.. walking back to the Harigga with my little Warrior in tow. It surprised me when I felt His tiny hand slip within mine as we strolled the plains back to our wagons. Once back at the fires.. He climbed the steps to my level and leaned over to kiss my cheek. " I love you Momma " He said and then darted off towards Seth's wagons.. hollaring that He was going to speak with Him. I nodded and lifted a hand to wave to that streak of red hair and freckles.
" I love you too Wily... " I said quietly as He disappeared.
It seemed love was everywhere.. and some of us were having a hard time grasping it. Maybe I shouldnt be so worried about it. Wily would be just fine. But part of me wanted to wrap Him up forever and protect Him from hurt and harm. I knew then that I had to let go... and not just of Wily...
... but of my own demons.

No comments: