Friday, October 3, 2008

Page 289 (2/8/2008) Chiller theater

Several Ahn's later.. Alpha just stopped walking. He simply needed a rest. We had travelled a good two days across the lands in the first place and now were backtracking. So I thought. Semi-conscious myself... I really wasnt sure where we were. Too weak to lift my head from Alpha's neck.. I tried to judge by stars where we were but it was a cloudy night... those twinkling spots of refrence obscured. Too dark to see the ground... but I could smell... and it still smelled like the plains. But I didnt hear the bosk. Hundreds upon thousands of them.. even when somewhat still.. you can hear them all breathing.. shifting in their stances.. you can "hear" sleep. Alpha slept... the slow deep breathing as He stood to support me was comforting. Poor old Man... I'd need to let Him rest.. He isnt the same young strapping beast He once was... but He was my most dearest friend and companion. We'd been through alot together... and I quickly had to push the thoughts away of His time winding down in this area of life. No more loss... I promised myself.
I was drifting in and out of consciousness when Alpha's ear's perked up and His neck tensed... waking me. I heard the thunderous approach of riders. The kaiila shifted to the side as if readying to run... it would take a mere squeeze or whistle from me and He would be off. I tried to keep Him still.. I couldnt move yet either.. laying there... perhaps the best offense is a good... playing dead urt look. Everything happened like someone flipping through pages of a picture book. A few moments of sounds.. then silence.. the riders got closer... then nothing... next I knew they were all surrounding me... then silence... something poked into my side.. twinge of pain... then... calm. My cloak was being drawn back... touch of cold air... then embrace of darkness again. My braid was lifted...sliding along my back... I shivered... then stilled. Hearing returned again... Men.. they were hooting and hollaring... then they faded away. When they came back... My shoulders were being grabbed and I was pulled back... "It's Her... It's Her !! Send word we found Her!" Ah good!!.. I thought to myself. They found Her. Warmth surrounded me in the feel of many blankets and strong arms held me tight..craddled sideways on a saddle and in the saddle of legs. The times I could open my eyes and look up... I could not see the face.. shielded by a dark hood and cloak. I took a breath and sighed... the fingers that wrapped around my arm tightened.. and I whispered... "found who???" I didnt know anyone was lost.
There came that tunnel again... rushing over me and closing off all sound and knowledge. Sleep... sleep. It was almost a new day.

No comments: