When darkness settled last night.. the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. The area that once spawned thousands of fires.. the central fire.. voices.. laughter.. was now... silent. It was errie. Unnerving. Though a few wagons remained to what I thought was my delema too.. finishing repairs... it still did not make me any less at ease. Seth and I had spent the day digging the Nightmare out of the dried mud. Two wheels had cracked and would need to be replaced. That was left for this morning. Once the black blanket fell over the lands.. I got my lanterns and we worked on Seth's wagon. He repaired the corner fittings and within a few Ahn.. His was trail ready. His Or.. remained behind.. this did give us some sound to break the ringing in our ears. I stayed close beside Him... not because of my feelings for Him.. but because I could not shake the tingles in my bones... like something was going to jump from the darkness.. something bad.. something that.. remained behind. As I sat on the steps of His wagon.. I swear I heard the plains sigh. Was it because the Tuchuk had left and they could once more regrow and offer us fresh grass next year?? Or were they relieved that we were gone. I didnt offer this to Seth... I kept this for myself to ponder and chew on... keep my mind busy and off the creepy feelings. We spoke briefly about the kids... about Wily's favorite song about bosk jumping over the moons. It did not ease my tension.
The moons were high in the night Sky when Seth finished and He needed rest. I had yet to sleep and knew this night would be no different. He gave me a kiss on top of the head and entered His wagon to sleep. I could not climb into the Nightmare. I felt if something was going to come for me.. I wanted to see it coming. I wouldnt be side-swiped in the wagon. So... on His steps I remained.... ever watchful.. ever aware. I doused the fire.. submerging me into total darkness.. and soon.. my eyes adjusted to the light. I could see outlines.. I could see the Or riding a perimeter. Every sound had me turning... my hand remained locked to the hilt of my dagger. My fingers were still locked in that position when morning crept over the emptiness of the plains. Lighting a fire... I made a small pot of blackwine for Seth as He stirred awake. He exited His wagon.. rubbing His eyes which... for a moment.. reminded meof Wily. Skies.. I missed the kids. He was puzzled to see me in the same spot from when He left me. I guess my look told Him not to question it. He got Himself a mug of blackwine and then went to work on the Nightmare's wheels. I had to stretch and walk.. and took to cleaning up the rest of the camp. When I finished.. I headed out towards the plains... with a call from Seth to not go far. If I couldnt hear Him banging on the wheels... then... my arse was in deep trouble. As I moved out from the Nightmare.. I spotted a few wagons in the distance. A figure was walking around.. and as I got closer.. I could tell it was Tarra. I lifted my hand.. and I shouted Her name... I waved both arms in the air and hollared more. She must have been in deep thought.. I got no response. I watched Her for a few moments longer... and then turned back to the wagon. Every other step.. looking over my shoulder at Her. Why had She stayed behind... why were some of Her clan wagons still here.... thats when the uneasy grip of fear tore through me. Something was wrong.. I didnt know what.. I couldnt possibly. But I did know whatever it was... lingered heavy in the air. I hurried back to the wagon and asked Seth how much longer. Another day... He said. I told Him I had seen Tarra.. and I was going to go see Her. He said I had to wait.. that I could not go without Him. I tilted my head... the tone of His voice was one that left me no avenue to question. I spent the rest of the day twisting my gaze toward Tarra and watching Seth work. It was on my lips to ask... my tongue clicked to the roof of my mouth to speak it... but I could only think it....
Did Seth feel it too????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment