Shi told me I had to rest... this wasnt hard to do being on the trail.. but it was also something I did not want to do. For two reasons.. keeping busy helped to occupy my mind and secondly.. I wanted back in the saddle. I spent the morning rounding up all the kids.. mine.. Shi and Tarra's... Bo and Dashie's... even Tug-a-roo... and brought them to the Nightmare where I had a day's planning of keeping them busy. The girl's made sock puppets and the boys made slingshots. I fed them all a snack and a few napped while the other's chatted away and painted the rest of the day. It was getting close to stopping for the night.. when Wily asked for one of my stories. He pleaded.. knowing the other's would chime in and they finally broke down with the cutest bouts of persuasion. As they all gathered around... I decided on a spooky story and sat down with the kids around me.
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Tuchuk style)
The legend of Sleepy Hollow is a tale that is told during this season. When the Tuchuks take to the trail to pass Turia towards the Northern Plains. The story centers on a headmaster slaver by the name of Ichabod Sleen, during the rein of Kamchak many moons ago. Contrary to popular belief Ichabod was not a mild mannered slaver; He had ulterior motives.
Ichabod came to a town called Sleepy Hollow, just outside Turia. Visitors to this town described it as being sleepy as if a thick fog hung not only over the town but over the people’s minds as well. The people held to many superstitions including the fervent belief in spirits. Ichabod shared in this interest of specters as well, you could say collecting the stories was His hobby.
Though Ichabod was not the most dashing of men... He was so thin that He looked as though He were a victim of a Dar-Kosis. However, Women were very taken by Him. After a day of feastings at the main fires... Ichabod would lead women around the rows of wagons and let them revel in His brilliance. Even though He could have His pick of women there was one girl in particular by the name of Katrina VonLarl...who had His heart as well as the title of soul heiress to Her father’s fortune. This made Her Ichabod’s ultimate goal. The only thing that stood in His way was the town Champion... a strapping young lad by the name of Brom Van Bola.
Brom and Ichabod began a heated rivalry. Ichabod did what He could to show that He was the better catch. While Brom proceeded to never miss an opportunity to thoroughly embarrass Ichabod by playing cruel pranks on Him in front of Katrina. This competition reached its climax one fall night at a shindig thrown by Katrina’s family.
Anyone who was anyone was in attendance including Ichabod. He borrowed a kaiila and the best saddle of His boarder and went to this event. While there... He heard the recounting of the headless tarnsman of Sleepy Hollow, the most popular ghost story in the town.
During the time of war, Kurii mercenaries came to the aid of the Turian soldiers. One such Kurii had his head carried away by a razored bola during a battle that was fought near the town. Every night his ghost would fly out to the battle scene, on a large errie tarn in search of his head. Those that encountered the spirit said he disappeared just before a long... dark... narrow valley that passed through a steep mountain just outside the main gates.
That night Katrina decided Her choice was Brom. Ichabod left the party defeated. As He traveled down the pathway He soon realized He was not the only one on the road. He heard the headless tarnsman of sleepy hollow coming for Him. He galloped as fast as He could to get away from the specter. He reached the opening of the valley passage and started to race through it.
What happens next no one knows. The next morning the towns people found a rider-less kaiila eating in front of his masters home, a saddle that had been trampled by a kaiila and Ichabod’s hat next to a crushed pumpkin. Some speculate that the headless tarnsman took Ichabod... others think that Brom had run him out of town and now Ichabod is a Initiate in a far away city.
So beware children... do not roam the plains in the dark of night... becareful of wandering off... you never know when the headless tarnsman might swoop down and try to steal your head. Ohhhhh.. and the headless tarnsman especially likes children that havent tended their chores. :::She looked at each one and smirked:: Have you all finished your chores??? :::A small laugh eminated as several of the kids went racing from the wagon... ::: I watched then as Wily stood up with Tug and looked to me... trying their best to be brave. "Momma?" Wily said... "Is that really a true story?" "Of course it is Wily." I said and then leaned close to them... "And Ive seen Him" Wily and Tug's eyes flew open wide and Wily took Tug's hand... leading Him to the wagon door. Wily poked His head out and looked up to the Skies... "Dont worry Tug.. Momma's only kiddin.... " He whispered... Tug looked back at me and gulped.. and I simply smiled.. wiggling my fingers toward the young one. I then grabbed hold of the collar of my tunic and yanked it up over my head... my arms waving wildly while making some sort of noise that resembled.. ooga.. booga... ooga booga Mmuuuuaaahahahahahahahhaaaaa !!! When I poked my head back out.. I saw a dust trail and two running lil Tuchuk's... the last thing I heard was Wily to say....
"Come on Tug... I gotta get ya back ta yer Momma !! I gots chores ta do !!!! "
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment