Friday, October 3, 2008

Page 269 (1/22/2008) Off we go

The fires were filled.. well pretty much.. they were busy with life. I went to find Tarra... and I found Her... in a mood. Thank the Skies it was not against me... I did not feel like running to the trenches all night with a problem. If I remember correctly.. I said.. Mistress of the Watery Bowels... and I know a few agreed. However... the next turn of events arose... and yup... open mouth.. insert foot Silkenhawk. Holo.. the mangy kaiila was missing. This was not all in itself bad... as this beast was about as homely as... as... well hell there isnt anything as bad that Ive ever seen in my life. As Cana and Fonce spoke of Holo... and then Mayala... I remembered back a night past that Saresh said Mayala had disappeared. For a few of us.. it just clicked. Could She have taken the beast?? Could the beast have.. taken Her? Ew. Thoughts.. yuck. Well.. Fonce organizes a search party... if She did take off... She had several days start on us. US... mind you. Yup.... I was going along with the Hunter's. Mayala could be hurt... or... worse. Fonce said I would be missed.. but it was a reasonable idea for a healer to go. Shanay would handle my patients under Falon's guidence. I scattered my children between Ina, Jaella and Tarra... giving Talia to Tarra.. being the oldest and able to help Tarra out more. Wily of course went to Ina. He will be mating Her again.. Im sure. Starr I sent to Jaella... being the Woman had only limited expierence with kids.. and Starr was the calm little one. Mia and Sonny would stay with Cana. Tribe took care of Tribe. There was not worry. It was all set. Jaella helped me pack up the bags.. Ina helped with the kaiila. Shi arrived. And suddenly.. He was going with me. For the first time in over a full year.. I was happy to see Him. He had given me new boots the prior day... perfect timing. They were beautiful.. and warm ! So off we went... soon as we left the surrounds of the Harigga.. the chill of air hit me. I shivered hard. The wagons blocked most of the winds from hitting you near the fires.. but out here.. out in the wide open.. they froze me to the bone. While the Hunter's scouted for tracks.. a trail.. anything.. Shi and I had the time to talk.. really talk. At times it was distressing... other's.. it was relief. I think weve come to an understanding. Im pretty sure we both agree.. it was the two of us that failed.. not one alone.
Late into the night.. we stopped and bedded down. Ready to get up early and start once more. We were heading North. I was sure that we would find something by the end of the next day. I made a small fire and huddled close to it while Shi spoke with some of the Hunter's. He stayed close to me... so I had no worry of being the only Woman out on the plains with a group of Tuchuks. Must admit... the glances and gawks were nice. heehee. For the life of me.. I could not get warm... I even though of sitting ON the fire. It surprised me when Shi built up a small teepee of sorts and encased me within. He even took a heavy pelt and made a quick poncho out of it. Ahhhhh warmth. Yes.. it was. Inside the small teepee made from spears and the pelts... I unrolled my bedding.. my pillow and my stuffed larl. Snuggling down for the night. I peeked out to say Bosk Dreams to Shi and saw Him huddled next to the dying fire. Part of me wanted to invite Him in. Part of me knew Kam would kick my ass.. skin me alive.. then kick my ass again.. bloody tissue.. muscle and all. I opened the flap to the small hut and lay two pelts over Shi. I felt guilty.. I felt terrible that He was out in the cold and here I was all warm. When I laid back down into my bedding... I found myself smiling. Even with all our differences.. and our troubles... He still looked out for me. I was glad He was here. Letting my thoughts drift back over our conversations... I was stuck on two inparticular. Pratice.. and old law. One because... I didnt think He even thought of me in that way anymore... and the second.. because... what He said made sense. I would need to look into this more. I had never lost a Mate do to a dissolvement. I was not familar with the old laws in such.
Just as I was falling asleep... Shi whispered through the pelts...
"Silken?"
" Yes Shi?"
" You never answered my question...."
"Which one, Shi?"
"How long does it last?" He said...
"About three or four moons, Shi" I knew what He was talking about.
"Oh..." He said.
"Bosk dreams, Shi"
"Nite, Silken"
Sleep took me quickly. I only hoped we were not too late. I hoped Mayala was ok. Yet... something Starr said before we left danced about my brain. She said... "See you in two days Momma." I didnt know what that meant exactly. But our answers it seemed would come quick.
Tomorrow would tell alot.

No comments: