Thursday, October 2, 2008

Page 127 (6/19/2007) In the still of the night

After Jax and Jort saw me to the wagon last night... I checked on the children. Talia and Starr lay on their furs... the light covering having been kicked away with the warmth of the air. I watched them stir several times.. brows furrowed.. whimpers... till they calmed again. I stepped from their wagon and threw back the flaps to let some air in.. hoping to ease the restlessness of a warm night so they could sleep. Jort said He would stand guard over the doorway... He wasnt tired, anyway. Leaving the girl's wagon... I spotted Shanay and Her Young Warrior sitting on the steps to the wagon and smiled... that is until I heard Shanay's voice lift and hollar something at the Young Man... then... SLAAAAPPPPppppppp... He got it across the cheek. I barred my teeth with a cringe and watched the two part with stomping and huffing. Shanay yanked the flaps closed... a few things hit the canvas covering... with force too.. I could almost make out the outlines. Scratching my head.... I kept moving back towards our main wagon. A lone figure caught my attention on kaiilaback. Closer inspection revealed Dakota. He was silent... still.. sitting tall in the saddle and facing the wind. For a moment... I saw His Father, Steel. I bid Him a soft Tal... and He looked to me with a distance in His eyes... which after a few Ehn broke and He blinked. He whispered quietly ... "Stay near the wagon's, Mother... please." And suddenly.. He was off. Dust remained in the Moonslight... as I pondered first.. Him calling me Mother.. and second.. His odd behavior. I passed this all off to the heat of the night... and continued to our wagon. Weaving towards the Main fire a moment... I looked to check on Wily who... for such a late night... was sitting on the edge of the platform with Rook at Cana's wagon. Now Rook always stands stone like... but for Wily to sit still for more than 3 Ehn.. is a miracle. They both seemed to watch the darkness... I didnt interupt.. but now.. something began to creep up within me. I felt very uneasy and found my steps back to the wagon hurried. I was looking over my shoulder as I threw open the door and entered. The twinswere in their furs... tossing and turning.. small dots of moisture on their foreheads as they tried to sleep in peace. Sleep had somehow evaded me as well now... pacing the wagon... moving things from one place to the other. No... something was just.... not right. I had to leave the wagon.. and left the door open and Jax guarding the babies. Sitting to the platform... I too.. staired into the darkness. It was morning soon enough... and still in the same spot... I felt like I had just blinked for the first time in Ahn's. Disreguarding Dakota's words.... I went to the River of Souls near the Mask camp. There... I was confronted with one of the black. I received the words with a shiver. The winds changed direction... and I curled up on the grass. When I dared to look again... He was gone. Managing to stand... I backed up from the mists and turned to run back to the Harigga.
It was coming... it was angry... it was pain and torment.. it was death.. and it... would soon feed.

No comments: