Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Page 51 (8/17/2006) The eyes have it

I find myself baffeled slightly over something that happened last night. I was at the river with my slave, larl. He had told me when I asked what his name was before I collared him... that he was called larl or beast. Now this I can see judging by the build of the slave. he is a beast... large and calculated. Anyway.. at the river as we spoke.. I happened to call him beast... something triggered inside this slave and I could see the hint of change in him.... his eyes darkened from the serene brown and faded towards black. The more I questioned and called him beast... the more.. almost.. feral he became. I know that some pit slaves had a trigger word that could bring out the fighting side of the slave.. and I do wonder if Ive stumbled upon larl's. The more I pressed calling him beast the more he changed.. right before me. his voice.. mannerisms.. stance.. but nothing more profound that the eyes. It was as if the pupils took over all color and dialated fully black.. the reflection of the moon's light shone like a giani's reflective glare back at me. I must admit.. I was a bit unnerved. Several times I felt like he could spring forward and snap my neck without hesitation... but yet.. larl would never allow such... and I could see this. The battle raged inside the slave for a time.... and finally.. larl was calm once more. Could this slave have been trained in such a way that when he fought in the pit's.. he had no remorse? Nothing to hold him back from the task presented.. which was most likely.. fighting to the death? Is it a self preservation of the mind... so that justification isnt needed in conscious thoughts??? I have yet to be able to discuss this with Jerus.. as He is still on journey. I should see Him within the next few days though. He knows more about pit slaves than I... perhaps it isnt such a good idea to press this new found trigger.. till I find out more. I've also considered putting the slave in chains while conducting a few experiments.. but Im a bit nervous.
I wish Tarra was around... she reads the whispers and winds better than I.. and has much more insight to these things. I do believe however that my idea on slaves is true now... most slaves do dream or wonder what it is like to be Free. I imagine for a kajiru it is much stronger than a female... being they work harder and take tasks upon themselves of a bigger responsiblity.
So much puzzles me... I will have to wait till I can speak to Tarra or Jerus. I think I will keep Jax closer near me.....
Kota has turned Himself around and seems to be excelling in His studies past down from Kam. Our son now seems enveloped in training and I rarely see Him. Yet.. when I do.. He is respectful and smiling... I hope that awkward growing pains phase is over. Talia started walking all the time...no more crawling... which Im glad about.. no more scraped knees and torn leathers... and Starr has been sitting up by Herself in a pile of furs. Our littlest keeps watch for Her Papa... looking towards the horizon whenever She hears the run of kaiila. Wily... that bundle of freckles and fire.. has found Himself a girl friend.. so He says. One of my guards daughter's.. they are close in age. The two can be found running around and playing and I even caught Wily giving Her a flower. I fell sorry for Kam when that one starts training.
So now... I must ready dinner for the Neill Clan before tempers start to flare. Then we will sit by the fire and relax... waiting for the ground to shake and the hundred or so kaiila to ride into camp... of course... only the leader is what we watch for... The Man.... The Myth... The Legend... Jerus the Tuchuk.

No comments: