Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Page 64 (11/21/2006) Rock of ages, Part One
The trail of wagons stretches far across the plains.. you cannot see the beginning nor the end. I knew Jerus sitting on the wagon bench was more that could be expected. So.. As I rode by to steal a kiss and a few gropes and other trail riding tortures... He just smiled that small smile of His and hopped from the bench to saddle of Toronado. I knew my Man needed some saddle time and was happy to sit and steer the team. Alpha was teathered to the wagon and also seemed grateful for the relief. Shanay's wagon was directly infront of me and for about an Ahn I watched the turn of wheels and the ass-end of the wagon seem to wobble. I studied this odd motion and passed it off as Her inexpierence of packing the wagon to be unevenly weighted correctly... prolly packed everything heavy to one side. Then it happened.. I heard the crack of wood and the back left wagon wheel just split.. shattered and as it was being dragged...dug deeply into the earth. Jax rode up and began to steer the other wagons around while I unhitched Alpha from the wagon and had Seth take my wagon to continue in line. The rest of my detail was soon around Shanay's wagon.. examining and scratching their chins. At least the Convoy of wagons would not be interrupted as we all stood there stairing. So.. I looked to each Man.. and finally said.. Well.. shall we fix the wheel? Duh.. stooges.. all of them. Yes yes.. good idea.. they said.. Ohh how I wanted to smack each one. larl came from from the last of our wagons and also stopped to help. The Men were busy shimming the wagon up hort by hort... larl readied the spare wheel and Shanay was unloading some of the supplies to lighten the load. I settled to the chill of earth and began to dig out the remaining part of the wheel that needed to be freed in order to remove the broken spool so the new one could be fitted. Luckily it was mid-day.. the air was warm as could be.. the warmth of the sun did make the ground somewhat soft.. but it was still a chore. After about 4 horts.. my fingers felt as if they would crack right off at the knuckles.. but this was no time to whine or complain. I'd made this journey hundreds of times and knew the importance of a quick fix and back on the trail.. so I kept digging. I felt the rim of the broken wheel finally breaking free and with a few last scrapes of my fingers it seemedto free up. The Men gave a good Heave-Ho and the wheel piece was out of the ground. I gave a final brush of my hand over the broken wheel and winced as I felt the cut of something cold and sharp slice into my palm. My teeth clentched and I hissed a few curses as I saw the run of blood quickly down my wrist until it dripped slowly to the ground. No time to tend it now... the wound was wrapped and then I checked the clump of dirt I had touched that was wedged inbetween the two broken spokes. There was an odd feeling to it.. it held mass and form unlike any usual dirt chunk you would have seen. So.. with the aid of my dagger I worked the mass free and put it into my satchel for later. The new wheel was put on and we all pitched in to reload the wagon. I dropped some sage to the spot of blood where it had pooled on the ground and then mixed the dirt within.. trying not to leave a blood trail that any stray sleen's or beasties could track. Shanay watered the bosk and soon we were back in line. Shanay tried to hurry the bosk until I reminded Her that we would catch up to our other wagons when we stopped for the night. She seemed relieved and nodded. The young one's need much guidence and being on the trail... in control of your own wagon for the first time is a scary moment for most. It is what being a Parent is all about. Teaching them the little in's and out's so next time they are more prepared. I think Shanay feared that Jerus would be disappointed in Her and I calmly explained that sometimes you cannot see a flaw in the wheel or any part of the wagon for that matter... shyt just happens. She laughed and nodded and took to the bench to drive the wagon onward. I took saddle with Alpha and had larl join me as we stayed beside Shanay making sure everything was ok. I used a bota of water to wash my hand out.. only a few drops as water was extreamly valuable at this juncture. I rewrapped the palm and kept it elevated.. the thing bleed through the bandage several times and I finally had to give larl the reins so I could rest. Still.. I couldnt keep my mind off that clump of dirt and what possibly was inside but it would have to wait till we stopped for the night and I could work it with my dagger. I thought of some kind of trinket that may have fallen off in the rainy season and was mushed down into the earth... or perhaps it was a worthless piece of trash with the same fate. In any case... I was visably excited andcounting the paces till we would stop for the night. Thankfully.. the chill of weather kept my hand from hurting too much. I leaned back against larl, my slave, as he kept Alpha at a steady pace beside Shanay's wagon and in the safety of his presence...soon drifted off for a welcomed nap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment