Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Page 65 (11/21/2006) Rock of ages, Part Two

I woke several Ahn's later beside a nice fire... tucked into some furs. larl moved about the small camp.. the wagons secured for the night. I musta been tired having slept so long and didnt feel like really crawling from those furs that were nice and warm. I hadnt eaten... havent had the appitite.. never do during the moves... this would hopefully change once we arrived North. Always in the back of my mind is the Elder People and sick.. that could use my share of food to make their trip more comfortable. The children were cleaning up with the help of tanya while Jerus rode the wagons.. checking on the people and taking in news of the trip thus far. No.. I would stay in the furs... if I get sick.. I would be no use to the people.. even us cast iron bytches need rest now and then. As I watched the fire dance before me.. I became painfully aware of my hand again as some of the nerves came back to life. I called larl to get me my medicine pack so I could clean and tend the wound properly which then reminded me of the clump of dirt. I washed the cut.. put some salve and herbs on it.. dressed it and waited a few Ehn for the numbing properties to kick in... course a bota of Jerus' special blend really made me feel pretty good. I sent larl off to assit Shanay in properly weighting Her wagon and now alone.. I dug the dirt ball from my satchel and removed a dagger from my boot. Carefully I started chipping dirt and what seemed to be hardened clay from this clump until my dagger wedged into something very hard... perhaps a piece of steel.. I still couldnt see with the deep dark color of earth. A finger brushed over this protruding piece and was yanked away quickly feeling the sharpness of it.. surely what had sliced my palm open. As tanya passed by with some small kettles of boiled water.. I took one from her and set it beside me. The girl of course was miffed... cause now she had to boil one more for bathing... like I cared? heh. Once she was gone... I set the dirt into the heated water and gave it a good tossle with my dagger. It turned the water quickly to mud.Several passing OR's commented on the waste of good water to which I replied... For medicinal purposes... this seemed to satisfy them and well I secretly swore to not drink any water tomorrow to make up for my waste. Using a stick and my dagger I pinched the remaining clump between them and lifted them from the kettle. My dagger went to work chipping more bits of clay from this embedded object. I was beginning to notice the outstretch of a thin hard shape. Dagger set down and the pad of thumb was pressed to this piece. It was cold... semi-smooth and with a rub of water.. took on a reddish hue. It was a deep crimson.. blood red. Excitment spurred me on... working feverishly to chip more clay from the hidden treasure. With now more than half the object exposed... I could feel the weight and texture... even bringing the piece to lips where my teeth could test it's composition. My surprise was given with a gasp... it was... a rock! I sighed and shook my head.. all this work for a mere rock. Mad with the disapointment of wasted time.. I heaved the rest of the rock/clay clump into the fire. The flames hissed in protest and shot upwards to the sky. As I followed the lick of flames.. I noticed the streak of a star across the black canvas of nightfall... which placed a calm to my soul. Something drew my attention back to the fire.. a snap of ember.. the drop of chips..folding into each other.. when I noticed something shining within the rolling of coals. I blinked several times.. seeing.. Green! I felt my forehead.. surely I had fever or something. But I was cool.. I checked my pulse.. nope normal. Wrapping my hand in a wet rep... I stuffed it into the fire quickly.. grabbed the green glowing thing and tossed it to the ground beside me. The small kettle of water was lifted and poured over the object. It hissed and steamed.. till finally it was cool to touch. As I sat back and pulled the furs around me... My fingers rubbed over the rock..brushing the fire scorch and ash away and suddenly the colors became apparent.... red... and green. This made my head tilt and I began to turn the rock within my hands until I paused... I felt like someone stabbed my heart with an icy spear... for there within my grasp.. I now held a rock in the shape of a Hawk... it's body the hue of green and it's outstretched wings shaded blood red. My mouth was agape in awe of such beauty. No.. it wasnt gold.. silver.. diamonds.. emeralds or any such gem of value.. but to me.. this object was priceless beyond compare. The rock was almost identical to my markbearing that of the Hawks Tribe I grew up in. The finer details of feathers and musculiture curves were absent... but I knew this shape... it was my background.. my hertiage.. my life.. and now.. my own "HomeStone" How I wanted to share this with Jerus... and run to Tarra... even share it with others... but the whispers lifted within me... calling to keep this find to myself.. if just for awhile longer. The voice of the Elders spoke quietly on the winds.. assuring me that all would be reveiled soon... and keep this find close to me during the trip North. I would not let it from my grip and tucked it securely into my vest pocket. I sat back and watched the twinkle of stars grow brighter in the deepening night sky. Perhaps it was the paga.. or the calm of peace held within me... I drifted back to sleep once more... I think.. I was smiling.

OOC note... and PS.. Happy Turkey day to you all !! Gods love and health to you my Tuchuk AOL family... Love.. Amber and Silken.

No comments: